Looking for an opportunity to give back? Then come and work with 3R with our progressive veterinary care program that includes traditional and eastern veterinary medicine.
3R Rescue is seeking a Volunteer Veterinary Technician to assist our Executive Director and core operations team with routine, but critical veterinary care activities to ensure optimal health of the dogs in our program.
3R Rescue is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit animal rescue based in Winters, CA. Our mission is to rescue, rehabilitate and re-home animals in need of a second chance. 3R saves dogs from rural poor under-sourced, over-crowded shelters with very high euthanasia rates. They are provided medical care, quality nutrition and the opportunity to relax and socialize in a home environment, enabling them to be 'good citizens’ in their new lives. Since our founding in 2012, 3R Rescue has saved the lives of over 480 animals. Help us continue!
The duties of this volunteer will vary based on the needs of individual dogs in our care and will be performed at 3R in our mobile vet clinic. Duties may include the following, under the supervision of 3R Management:
- Assist 3R Intake Team with basic initial health evaluations
- Administer flea/tick/heartworm preventatives
- Administer medications orally/topically
- Perform vaccine injections
- Assist in post-operative care
- Assist in standard canine caretaking activities such as: temperature readings, toenail clippings, ear cleanings, toothbrushing/oral inspections, anal gland expression, etc.
- Record related data and observations on individual animal health records and/or 3R Animal Database
- Assist 3R Management in the development and/or updating of forms, checklists and standard operating procedures (SOPs) related to the function animal medical care or the use of the exam area
- Follow established disease control protocols to clean, disinfect and maintain exam areas
- Occasional kennel attendance may be required
- Cultivate positive relationships with other volunteers and rescue partners through professional, educational and courteous interactions
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in veterinary office; CVT/RVT preferred
- Knowledgeable and experienced with veterinary technology, medical terminology, clinical techniques, veterinary physiology and anatomy, medical recordkeeping, wellness/preventive care advocation, IM/SQ injection administration, medication handling, venipuncture, in-house equipment/supply use, disease control and sanitazition protocols
- Time Commitment: 4-6 hour shift, 1-2 times per month (preferably twice per month) in Winters, CA
- Volunteer hours will be on-site at 3R Rescue with time split between indoor/outdoor spaces and the office
- The rescue operates on a working ranch, so the volunteer will be exposed to live ranch/farm animals, companion animals, animal excrement, dust, dander, pollen, allergens and related conditions with limited alterations available
- Volunteer should be able and willing to spend up to 2 consecutive hours outdoors and exposed to various weather conditions
- Closed-toe shoes are mandatory; clothing will be exposed to dirt, dust, pet hair, etc.
- Volunteer will be exposed to disinfectant solutions
- Volunteer should be able to perform frequent bending, kneeling, reaching, sitting, walking and/or standing on feet while performing volunteer functions
- Safety protocols and procedures must be followed by all individuals on the premises at all times
- Safety is paramount for humans and our canine companions. However, volunteer may be subject to animal bites and scratches while handling animals of questionable temperament
- Tetanus and rabies (pre-exposure) inoculations are required or must be waived
- Volunteer must change clothes and wash hands prior to volunteer shift if coming straight from another environment such a vet office, shelter, grooming salon, boarding/daycare facility
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4-6 hour shift, once per month (preferably twice)