Under the Direction of the Director of Programs, and with support from the Director of Volunteer, the Mentor Coordinator is responsible for managing the mentoring program on the local level. The Mentor Coordinator is responsible for the recruitment, training and retention of mentors and volunteers. In conjunction with the Director of Programs, the Mentor Coordinator will network to establish strong community and school relationships and partnerships to identify resources that serve participants and their families. The Mentor Coordinator will develop and implement comprehensive recruitment strategies and outreach activities to educate the community about the UBC and the various opportunities to volunteer.
- Actively participate in community networking organizations (i.e. NAACP, Rotary Club) to build the UBC brand in the community
- In conjunction with the Director of Programs, manage relationships with community partners including cultivating new partnerships, maintaining regular communication with partners, and coordinating partners for presentations at family outreach events and special student events
- Develop, manage and chair a Parent Advisory Council that will consist of mentors, volunteers, parents and school representatives. Implement advisory council suggestions and initiatives
- Recruit and screen potential mentors according to UBC policies and procedures, proactively contacting potential mentors guiding them through the commitment process
- Develop quarterly mentor recruitment strategies that include social networking technology, i.e. Facebook or Twitter, to ensure sufficient mentors to keep the center fully matched
- Work with Director of Volunteer to develop strategic action plans to overcome local barriers to quality mentor programming
- Using industry "best practices" develop retention initiatives that ensure 75% mentor monthly attendance, completion of the one-year mentor commitment, and that encourage 33% mentor multi-year participation
- Network to build partnerships with churches, corporations, civic organizations, and colleges specifically for volunteer/mentor recruitment
- Provide 4-hour pre-match training and bi-monthly supplemental mentor training according to UBC procedure and curriculum
- Conduct appropriate screening, orientation and training that will utilize each volunteer effectively within the center, based on their area of interest; as well as skills and experience, to provide daily afterschool support beyond mentoring
- Utilizing UBC matching criteria, mentor interviews, and personal knowledge of the UBC participants, determine suitable mentor/mentee matching pairs
- Actively support mentor matches, which include connecting with mentors during each visit, reviewing Mentor Session Reports, supervising mentor matches, and engaging mentors who miss mentoring sessions
- Ensure that Mentor pairs have a combination of structured and unstructured activities in which to participate during the mentoring hour
- Oversee structured match ending process including coaching mentor and mentee through the match closure process and conducting exit interviews
- Conduct meticulous weekly documentation of all aspects of the mentor management process including recruitment, training, match management and retention, using Salesforce
- Work with Executive Director to gather information in preparation of quarterly narrative reports on progress of mentor program
- Assist Executive Director with special projects/events during program and summer hours as needed
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Six hours weekly min.
- Young Adult Development...
- Director of Finance & HR
- Social Media Director
- Homeless Prevention Coordinator
- Director of Volunteers
- Director of Communications and...
- Director of Programs
- Donor Database Coordinator and...
- Director of Development
- Director of Strategy and Research
- Mentor Coordinator (Non-Profit)
- Homeless Outreach Coordinator
- Social Media Coordinator
- Producer - Creative Initiatives
- Financial Assistant
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Web Content Producer
- Fundraising Coordinator
- Volunteer & Special Events...