Support Group Facilitator
1 person is interested
Position: Caregiver Support Group Facilitator
Reports To: Circle of Care Clinical Services Manager
General Purpose: The Caregiver Support Group Facilitator serves as a representative for PSS, supporting the Agency's mission of strengthening the capacity of older New Yorkers, their families, and communities to thrive.
Caring for someone to dementia can be a particularly difficult and consuming process. Our support groups, led by trained facilitators, provide caregivers with the opportunity to discuss the many challenges of caring for a family member with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias, with others who understand. Our goal is to provide a safe setting which promotes mutual support, both practical and emotional, throughout the course of the disease.
- Understand, communicate, and promote the purpose and value of a PSS Circle of Care caregivers’ support group
- Convey knowledge about Alzheimer’s disease, its symptoms and current research developments
- Hold meetings, as scheduled
- Set the tone for appropriate behavior of the group through empathy, humor, and openness
- Acknowledge the support group’s affiliation with the Alzheimer’s Association and provide ample opportunity for group members to have access to resources and other services available through the chapter.
- Moderate sharing during group discussion to keep the group within appropriate limits
- Assess when a group member needs more help than the group can provide and refer that person to the appropriate staff and/or resources
Time Commitment: 2-3 hour sessions held 2x/month
Support: Training for this position will be provided.
Dress Code: Casual
Start Date: Immediate
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (preferred)
- Compassion for caregivers
- Dependable, punctual, reliable and consistent
- Good listening skills and excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to suspend judgment while trying to understand from the caregiver’s point of view
- Ability to use humor while showing genuine care and compassion for the caregiver
Benefits: Volunteers will work with a diverse range of people and have the opportunity to showcase their skills by engaging with senior members and supporting staff. In addition, volunteers will have chance to network, grow as an individual and build their resume.
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.
- Adult Education
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Career Counseling / Coaching
- Group Facilitation
- Customer Service
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hour sessions, 1-2x/month