1. Assignment Title
CLC Community Outing Escort for Veterans at the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center Uptown Division
(*If you are interested in this position please send an email to VHAAUGVoluntaryService@va.gov )
2. Purpose of Assignment
Provide assistance escorting CLC residents for outings in the community to places such as: American Legions, DAV’s, Bus rides, churches, retail stores, restaurants/luncheons, movie theater, and other places of interest in areas of Augusta and South Carolina.
1. Arrive to designated CLC at least 30min early to escort participating residents to designated pick up/drop off location.
2. Must have knowledge of facility layout including location of various entrances and elevator locations.
3. Must be able push wheelchair up to 250 lbs. and/or or walk with residents to designated locations without limitations and fatigue.
3. Knowledge and display demonstration of VAMC transportation safety guidelines.
4. Assist residents during off station outing. Resident may have cognitive, vision, or hearing impairment.
5. Escort resident back to their CLC from outing. Sign resident in and notify staff of their return.
4. Time Commitment
CLC outings take place up to 4 times a month. This is subject to change based on what month they occur and if other special or occasional events are already scheduled. Most outings require a minimum of 2 hours with a maximum of 5 hours depending on the nature of the outing.
For upcoming scheduled outings contact Recreation Therapist ( see below section #7)
? Pass a background check
? Complete Volunteer Orientation
? Physical Endurance to push wheelchair individuals up to 250 lbs. and walk with ambulatory residents to designated location .
6. Training and Skill Development
1. Understanding of community reintegration and able to provide direction and assistance as needed for maximum participation.
2. Some understanding of physical/cognitive limitations related to aging population (Dementia &/or severe cognitive impairments, Stroke, etc.)
3. Must be able to work independently & enjoy older adult population.
4. Proper PPE & hand washing techniques
5. Training on diet restrictions and consistencies used in medical center.
6. If resident experiences minor or major medical emergency, must have knowledge of VAMC procedure.
Volunteer reports to: Tom Harris
Feedback: Annual written
8. Supporting policies
* VHA Handbook 1620.01
* Medical Center Policy MEMORANDUM NO. 119-14-01
Where/what’s provided: Escort for all CLC units (1D, 1C, 2B, 3C)
? Structured recognition/awards program
? Annual Flu Shot at no cost
? Eligible to join credit union
? Make tax-free purchases in Canteen store
- Veteran Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Volunteer Van Driver for...
- Van Driver for Veterans at the...
- Red Coat Ambassador Volunteer...
- Ambassador Charlie Norwood...
- Volunteer Driver for Veterans...
- Distribution Technician...
- Veterans Health Education and...
- Bereavement Services Volunteer...
- Wheelchair Repair Downtown...
- Prosethetics Clerical and...
- Information Desk (Front Line...
- Beneficiary Travel Customer...
- Wheelchair Concierge & Greeter...
- Appointment Reminder for...
- Nursing Volunteer for Veterans...
- Community Living Center Senior...
- Musician Volunteer Charlie...
- Front Desk Clerk Volunteer...
- Critical Care Unit Waiting Room...
- Program Assistant in...