Veterans Connect Volunteer
3 people are interested
Serve as a point of contact to ensure that Veterans and Veteran families of every era know how to get connected to the state and federal benefits and services they have earned through military service.
- Staff the Veterans Resource Center in the library for a minimum of one 2-hour shift per week to meet with Veterans and/or family members. Serve as expert listener and initial problem solver.
- Guide the Veteran toward those benefits that are likely to enhance their particular situation and, using the California Veteran’s Resource Book, provide contact information for the County Veterans Service Office so that they can make an appointment. Also, provide a checklist of the basic documents the Veteran should take to their appointment in order to expedite their access to services.
- If, during the conversation, additional services needs are identified, provide contact information to other library or community services. If a Veteran is in a crisis, refer to the list of emergency service numbers provided.
- Maintain data on number of Veterans/family members served, types of questions asked, referrals made, and issues/topic areas needed but not covered in the library’s collection.
- Interest in helping and serving Veterans and their families;
- Patience, empathy and good listening and interpersonal skills;
- Familiarity with military life, Veteran’s issues, reintegration challenges, or willingness to learn;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respect personal boundaries;
- Basic computer and Internet skills required;
- Successful completion of all training for this position (approximately 8-10 hours);
- Additional training is offered by library director and via webinars or on-ground workshops from CalVet or other Veteran Service Organizations on a needed basis.
We'll work with your schedule.
850 Encinas AvenueCalexico, CA 92231
- Veteran Care
- People Skills
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum one 2-hour shift per week