About The Volunteer Role:
MRNY is seeking a volunteer with teaching experience to teach a citizenship class to ESL students looking to pass their naturalization exams to become US citizens. MRNY offers a collaborative environment for volunteers who take part of this opportunity.
The volunteer will:
- Look closely at the materials and lesson templates provided by our staff to adapt the lesson plans/materials to fit a 2 hr class.
- Send the MRNY staff materials for printing or bring printed material (we have a printer in the office available for your use).
- Teach the civics class on Mondays to multi-level English learners seeking to take a naturalization interview.
- Communicate during the evening with the volunteers recruited to do mock exams to ensure that students are given adequate practice
- Maintain effective communication with the team regarding anything that seems unclear, questions s/he may have, the status of the class and the students, and other things related to the class. We also ask that volunteers respond in a timely manner to emails from staff about the class.
- Orientation about MRNY materials for citizenship class
- General Orientation (about MRNY, the volunteer role, the students, community, collaborative approaches, etc...)
- A couple of class observation in our Queens location (the volunteer observes the citizenship classes taught by MRNY staff in our Queens location)
- Phone meetings (scheduled with the volunteer)
- A room for teaching
- Student enrollment and pre-testing
- Printer, laptop, projector and speakers are available for use
It is important to us that participants have a strong desire to support and work with the immigrant community. Great teamwork, effective communication skills, a positive attitude, and an interest in adult education as it relates to student speakers of other languages, or the desire to learn about these is required from all our volunteers.
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- Project Management
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2.5 hrs teaching + time to plan and prep lessons
- Effective communicator, Spanish speaking is a plus, flexible, compassionate