The Dallas Autism Speaks walk is seeking a 2018 Walk Chair.
The Autism Speaks Walk is the signature fundraising event of Autism Speaks. It is also the world’s largest fundraising event to support the diverse needs of the autism community. This grassroots movement is driven by volunteers and powered by love. Committee members and walkers generate funds that fuel innovative research and make connections to critical lifelong support and services.
Overview: The Walk Chair serves as the volunteer leader for the planning and execution of the Autism Speaks Walk. The Walk Chair works closely with Autism Speaks staff to ensure that plans for the event, as outlined in the Walk Manual, meet the Walk goal. The Walk Chair creates and implements a plan for an effective Walk Committee in order to achieve recruitment, fundraising, sponsorship, and mission goals. This is a one-year term.
Volunteer Attributes: Experienced fundraiser, passionate about the cause, detail-oriented, able to multi-task, good communication skills, excellent relationship building experience, comfortable reminding people of pending deadlines and asking for status updates.
- Understand the mission of Autism Speaks.
- Understand the importance of fundraising for Autism Speaks.
- Serve for two years as the Walk Chair.
- Work with Autism Speaks staff to ensure the Walk is implemented as outlined in the Walk Manual.
- Work with Autism Speaks staff to develop a plan of action to ensure event recruitment, fundraising, sponsorship, and mission goals are met.
- Recruit, train, and manage a Volunteer Leadership Team consisting of the following positions: Walk Co-Chair, Sponsorship Chair, Fundraising Chair, Team Recruitment Chair, Team Retention Chair, Mission Experience Chair, Marketing & Outreach Chair, and Logistics Chair.
- Maintain regular communication with Autism Speaks staff and Volunteer Leadership Team, both through in-person meetings and written communication.
- Assist with revenue generating activities including team recruitment and corporate partnerships
- Maintain a low expense ratio by adhering to the expense budget established by Autism Speaks staff.
- Serve as the volunteer spokesperson for the Walk.
- Lead by example and actively fundraise for the Walk.
- Mobilize personal network to participate in, volunteer for, and donate to the Walk.
- Delegate responsibilities as needed to ensure the success of the Walk.
- Recruit and mentor a Walk Chair successor. Ideally this person will serve as this year’s Walk Co-Chair.
- Conduct post-Walk review with Autism Speaks staff and Volunteer Leadership Team.
Time Commitment: 9-12 months. Approximately 5-10 hours per month, as needed.
- Business Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment