8 people are interested
Housing Services Internship
8 people are interested
Put your energy and passion to use and become part of a local non-profit organization! Do you love to
make a difference in the community you live in? Do you want to help an agency whose mission is to move
people forward? Then Waypoint is the place for you!
Under the direction of the Director of Housing Services and staff, you will assist with the
daily activities working with individuals experiencing homelessness, near homelessness, and poverty.
Part-time with flexible hours between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Semester commitments are preferred, but
can be adjusted to fit your schedule.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain the guests' confidentiality and security of the shelter without compromise at all times in accordance with the Waypoint Confidentiality Policy
- Field and respond to phone calls by inputting/collecting data on calls for emergency shelter, providing information and referrals, taking messages, and providing a triage screening to callers for admission to emergency shelter programs
- Restock supply areas as needed
- Complete requested paperwork and data entry in a timely manner
- Comply with all Waypoint policies and procedures
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and professional manner, both in appearance and actions in carrying out job responsibilities
- Follow WAYPOINT CRISIS COMMUNICATION PLAN completely in crisis situations
- Maintain scheduled internship hours and notify your immediate supervisor personally of absences
- Assist with various program components as assigned
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree or higher in social work, sociology, psychology, or a related field
- An understanding of the dynamics of homelessness, domestic violence, child abuse, sexual abuse/assault, substance abuse, and mental illness
- A sensitivity to working with families of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge of poverty and oppression and the ability to provide non-judgmental support
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN:
- Direct experience working with clients in crisis experiencing homelessness, near homelessness, and poverty
- Knowledge of various community resources and how they work to support individuals in crisis
- A deeper understanding of the various factors that contribute to homelessness and poverty in the community
About Waypoint Services
318 5th Street SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401, US
To strengthen and empower individuals who are homeless, living in poverty, or victims of domestic violence; and give children access to gaining the essential skills vital to reaching their full potential through quality child care.
Aiding individuals experiencing crisis due to homelessness, poverty, or domestic violence, Waypoint serves as a vital community resource. Throughout its 121-year history, Waypoint has dedicated itself to providing human services that meet the ever-evolving needs of area women, children, and families.
318 5th Street SECedar Rapids, IA 52401
September 16, 2021
- Crisis Intervention
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible schedule Monday-Friday, 9-5