Our City Forest has been the leading urban forestry non-profit in the San José area since 1994. Our mission is to cultivate a green and healthy Silicon Valley by engaging community members in the appreciation, protection, growth and maintenance of our urban ecosystem, especially our urban forest.
WATERING INTERN DESCRIPTION
Our City Forest is looking for a tree watering intern that is interested in gaining experience in tree care in the nonprofit and municipal sector. Interns will gain valuable training in urban forestry and community outreach. Interns will work with a team of Urban Forestry Specialists to execute and database the watering routes. Interns will help teach volunteers about watering and tree care. Interns will learn tree identification and the corresponding watering requirements. Our City Forest currently stewards and waters 537 trees and expects to add 141 more trees, for a total of 678 by June 2018. The intern will help design and execute routes with the support of the Tree Care team of 6 members and the department manager. University credits may be available, check with university for more details and requirements. Through this experience, interns will gain a greater appreciation of the urban forest as well as common problems and solutions to young tree care in the non-profit and municipal sector.
The Tree Care Team ensures that watering routes are executed safely and on time. Watering takes place from April - November. The watering intern will help the team complete these routes during the summer. They will be trained on basic tree care, species identification, pest management, customer service, route development, databasing, and the operation of watering truck and water trailer. This position will be a 3 month internship, from June to August, and will require between 18-20 hours a week Wednesday through Friday. Proportion of field-to-office work will be 70% field and 30% office.
- Must be enrolled in a university or in a gap year; minimum age: 18
- Must have a valid driver’s licence for the state of California
- Must be willing to drive the watering truck with a watering trailer attached
- Interest in affecting change through community organizing
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people
- Strong written & oral communication skills
- Local, bay area applicants only
- U.S. Citizen or legal resident, with a high school diploma or equivalent, minimum age: 18
- Must be available to work Wed-Fri 9am-3pm
- Must be able to commit three full months; June- August.
- Coordinating watering routes with assistance from team and manager
- Developing procedures for new Watering routes
- Leading and training volunteers on watering routes
- Databasing tree care watering routes and volunteers
- Ensure that vehicles are maintained to the standards they were given in
- Strong written & oral communication skills
- College degree in progress is highly desirable
- Vietnamese and Spanish speakers interested in reaching out to the communities of San José
- Proficient in driving manual transmission and towing small trailers
- Familiar with ornamental and native tree and shrub species identification
- Knowledge or experience working with irrigation
- FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe CS, Sketch Up software knowledge
Our City Forest provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment and internships without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Our City Forest complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, internships, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. We encourage people of all walks of life to apply!
This position is unpaid and housing is not available.
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Answer the following questions in your letter:
1) Explain why you are interested in becoming an intern at Our City Forest, what are you hoping to gain from working with us.
2) Let us know you are available for the full three months (June-August) for 18-20 hours a week Wed-Fri.
- Data Entry
- Office Management
- Program Management
- Habitat Restoration
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 18-20 hours a week; 3 months (June - August)