Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Balboa Avenue Older Adult Center (BAOAC) offers a safe haven for older adults. An average of 30 adults per day take part in daily activities. Activities include daily exercises, lectures, games, cultural programs and live entertainment. Meals are available on a sliding donation scale and no one is refused a meal if they cannot pay.
Goal of Position:
The goal is to make members at the Center feel welcomed and comforted when they arrive by greeting them warmly. Table Captain Volunteers ensure a friendly, kind and engaging atmosphere for older adults. Table Captain Volunteers participate in activities like BINGO, singing and dancing.
- Opportunity to help older adults feel welcomed at the Center
- Opportunity to interact with older adults and learn their stories
- Gain customer service skills
- Gain experience supporting older adults
- Set up meal tables with table clothes, flowers, cups and cutlery
- Wrap silverware
- Greet older adult members as they enter the activity room
- Help members to their seat, if necessary
- Escort clients to the restroom as needed
- Sit with members at their tables and help them play BINGO and other games
- Dance and sing with clients
- Must be friendly, outgoing, and cheerful
- Must enjoy working with and interacting with older adults
- Must work well with older adults experiencing Dementia and Alzheimer's Disease
- Must be flexible and adaptable
- Must be willing to be goofy and have fun - our older adults love lively people
- Must be at least 13 years or older
- Must complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/groupapp
The Balboa Avenue Older Adult Center is open Monday-Thursday. Table Captains are needed from 9:30 a.m- 11:00 a.m and 12:45 p.m-2:10 p.m. Volunteers are also welcome to stay for the whole day, from 9:30 am-2:10 pm. Volunteers can sign up for daily, weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly shifts.
Balboa Avenue Older Adult Center ● 8788 Balboa Avenue ● San Diego, CA 92123
BAOAC Center Coordinators
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 13
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Food Drive Assistant
- Event Planning Internship
- Development Administrative...
- Food Drive Volunteer
- Hillcrest Distribution Volunteer
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Workshop Facilitator
- Data Entry Specialist-Community...
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Bingo Caller
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Cozy Cafe-rista
- Receptionist Assistant
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant
- Data Entry Specialist - Helping...