Purpose of Volunteer Opportunity: Create a positive learning environment, empowering children to reach their full potential by mentoring and providing academic support
Description: Life and Basketball (LAB) is a 501(c)(3) registered non-profit dedicated to increasing opportunities for underserved and at risk youth. Using basketball as a transformative tool, our programs are innovative and focus on increasing academic performance, providing life skills and strengthening social and emotional competencies. LAB is looking for tutors with a passion for empowering youth and facilitating learning. Tutors assist middle schoolers with homework, preparing for upcoming exams and lead targeted lessons and exercises. Tutors work one-on-one or with groups of children.
- Tutor middle school children in MATH and Literacy related subjects
- Be responsible for the children while in class room
- With support from LAB staff develop together with each participant individual academic goal plan
- Adhere to LAB policies, rules, and objectives
- Report any problems with student behavior to LAB
- Be accessible by phone or email.
- Lead by example and where possible mainstream SEL principles in teaching
- Previous teaching, mentoring or tutoring experience
- Desire to work with children
- Possess organizational skills, patience, maturity and dependability
- Sound character, strong morals, values and personal ethics
- Previous experience with programs focused on building social and emotional skills desired and/or the willingness to learn how to incorporate social and emotional learning in teaching
- Be 18 years old and have a high school diploma.
- Completed any necessary LAB teacher training
- Completed volunteer packet and background check
- Signed teacher job description and contract
Time Commitment: Our spring program is expected to run about 8 weeks, between mid-April and mid-June. Coaches would volunteer from 1 - 5 hours per week. The program is offered after school so volunteer slots would likely be between 3:30 - 5:30pm.
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
This is the perfect opportunity for teachers who are interested in working with under-resourced middle school children and giving them the opportunity to succeed on and off the court. Teachers will have opportunities to learn more about social emotional learning (SEL) programs and how to mainstream SEL in teaching and will be connected to a network of caring and dedicated volunteers. Volunteers will also receive training on how to recognize and report child abuse (the course is approved by the Departments of Human Services, Education and State and is eligible for Act 48 credits).
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- From 1 - 5 hours per week