Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Hand Up Food Pantry believes in helping clients reach self-sufficiency by providing a 'hand up’ not just a hand out to clients experiencing food-insecurity. They accomplish this by connecting clients to resources in addition to providing emergency food relief to 800 families each month at distributions through San Diego County. In the past year, the Hand Up Food Pantry has provided 8,969 clients with 310,000 meals.
Goal of Position:
The Lead Volunteer will serve as a point of contact between other volunteers and food pantry staff. Leads briefly meet with Hand Up Food Pantry staff at the beginning of the shift for general instructions. They will help to direct volunteers in stocking the Corner Market and warehouse shelves, creating attractive displays, and transporting food between buildings. They will also make sure the Corner Market is clean and well organized before clients arrive for their appointments.
- Gain and practice valuable leadership skills
- Learn about food insecurity and hunger in your community
- The knowledge that you made a difference in the lives of hundreds of families and individuals
- All new volunteers are provided with a brief orientation about the operations of the Corner Market to understand the bigger picture of food collection and distribution
- Listen to and follow the instructions from staff members
- Communicate directions from staff to other volunteers
- Sort through food donations
- Organize and merchandise the Corner Market as needed
- Keep the Corner Market area clean and in compliance with food safety standards
- Provide at least 48 hour notice if you need to cancel your volunteer time
- Friendly, assertive, and a team player
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to learn work in fast paced environment
- Knowledgable or willing ot learn about food insecurity in the community
- Experience or willingness to work with people with developmental disabilities
- Be able to lift up to 40lbs
- Comfortable working in a unsupervised setting
- Complete a background check
- Mondays 10am to 12pm
Jewish Family Service * Turk Family Center * 8804 Balboa Avenue * San Diego, CA * 92123
Hand Up Distribution Specialist
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Food Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Table Captain- Balboa Ave Older...
- Development Administrative...
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Citizenship Instructor
- Kitchen Aide
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Camp Pendleton Military...
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- Fresh Market Distribution...
- Newsletter Production Volunteer
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Receptionist Assistant
- Performer/Entertainer for Older...
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Facilities Assitant
- Data Entry Specialist - Helping...
- Public Transportation Navigator