Food Drive Assistant
DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, healthier, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Hand Up Food Pantry believes in helping clients reach self-sufficiency by providing a 'hand up’ not just a hand out to clients experiencing food-insecurity. They accomplish this by connecting clients to resources in addition to providing emergency food relief to 800 families each month at distributions through San Diego County. In the past year, the Hand Up Food Pantry has provided 8,969 clients with 310,000 meals.
Goal of Position:
The Hand Up Food Pantry is looking for an individual to join our pantry team! The Food Drive Assistant would provide support to our Food Drive and Distribution Specialist and Food Pantry Lead. This volunteer would assist the team in our mission to alleviate hunger in San Diego by helping to coordinate and solicit food drives in the community.
- Opportunity to help alleviate hunger in San Diego
- Ability to assist in a critical area of need
- Learn the ins and outs of a large organization and what it takes to run a food assistance program
- Assist with the organization and coordination of food drives
- Help with outreach to community partners, including businesses and schools to conduct food drives
- Pick up donations and deliver them to the warehouse
- Assist with the stocking and shelving of food items
- Help with other tasks around the pantry as needed
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be compassionate, friendly, caring, patient, and have the ability to develop and maintain good rapport with community members
- Must be willing to gain a strong understanding of the Hand Up Food Pantry Program and other Jewish Family Service programs
- Must be able to lift boxes up to 40lbs
- Must have a clean DMV record
- Must be comfortable driving a pick up truck for business purposes
- Must be able to take initiative and work independently
- Must be at least 24 years of age
- Must be able to provide own transportation to the JFS Turk Family Center
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Attend a JFS volunteer interview with Volunteer Services staff
- Agree to background check, reference check, and privacy & security policy & DMV check
The Hand Up Food Pantry is open Monday through Thursday, 8:30am - 5:00pm and Friday 8:30am - 4:00pm. Volunteer must be able to commit to at least 5 hours a week for a minimum of 3 months.
Jewish Family Service
Turk Family Center
8804 Balboa Avenue
San Diego, CA 92123
Hand Up Food Pantry Program Assistant
We'll work with your schedule.
Various Locations Around San DiegoSan Diego, CA 92123
- Truck Driving
- Food Service
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25