Shaking Hands with HIV is a startup nonprofit created by a group of passionate people looking to not just make a difference in the community where they live but replace fear and ignorance with compassion and understanding in every aspect of life. A name inspired by Princess Diana’s monumental visit to the AIDS clinic, Shaking Hands was established as an extension of her inspirational work dedicated to making HIV Prevention and eradication a topic in every household. Princess Diana challenged the public perception of HIV and AIDS by walking into an AIDS Clinic at the height of the AIDS epidemic in 1987 and shaking the hand of a man suffering from the illness. Despite guidance from doctors to not touch the patients without gloves, she made the decision driven by compassion and understanding rather than fear and ignorance.
The Board Treasury is responsible for the financial health of the organization including the following activities:
- Manages financial accounting
- Approves program spending
- Prepares annual budget for board members’ approval
- Ensures all financials are developed and maintained in order obtain necessary tax exemptions and grants
- Files taxes and financial filings
- Ensures development and board review of financial policies and procedures
- Votes for chairpersons of committees
- Plays a vital role in fundraising and volunteer activities
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned by the Board including special projects and head committees.
- Background in Finance and Accounting
- Background in Nonprofits and Grants preferred but not required
- Hustler, thinking outside of the box, taking initiatives, and passion for making a difference in your community - if you are this person, we want to hear from you!
Initial term requirement is 14 months, however there is no maximum amount of consecutive terms. Each year it will be reassessed by the Board of Directors.
A Treasurer should expect to spend about 10 hours a month working on duties aligned to their position, this can include monthly Board of Directors Meeting, playing a lead role in fundraising and volunteer activities, and other responsibilities as assigned by the Board including special projects and committees.
Unable to volunteer? There are still ways to contribute and participate! Please contact Paige.Nabers@ShakingHandswithHIV.com to learn how to get involved!
- Financial Planning
- Grant Writing / Research
- Market Research / Analysis
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- up to 10 hours monthly