Purpose of Job: Create a positive learning environment, teaching children sportsmanship, fundamental basketball skills, team work, fair play and responsibility.
Background: Life and Basketball (LAB) is a 501(c)(3) registered non-profit dedicated to increasing opportunities for underserved and at risk youth. Using basketball as a transformative tool, our programs focus on increasing academic performance, providing life skills and strengthening social and emotional competencies. LAB is looking for coaches who want to inspire youth to reach their full potential. Coaches will teach middle school children fundamental basketball skills and serve as a positive role model and mentor.
- Teach fundamental skills to the children while emphasizing skill development, fair play, teamwork, sportsmanship, and fun.
- Be responsible for the children while at training location/gym
- With support from LAB staff develop together with each participant individual goal plan
- Adhere to LAB policies, rules, and objectives
- Maintain all LAB Sports equipment
- Provide proper first aid when injuries occur. Fill out and turn in an accident report form to LAB when any injury occurs that requires more than simple first aid. Call 911 for any severe injury.
- Report any problems with gym, equipment, student behavior, etc. to LAB
- Be accessible by phone or email.
- Lead by example and where possible mainstream Social Emotional Learning principles in training
- Previous Basketball coaching experience
- Desire to work with children
- Possess organizational skills, patience, maturity and dependability
- Sound character, strong morals, values and personal ethics
- Previous experience with programs focused on building social and emotional skills desired and/or the willingness to learn how to incorporate social and emotional learning in trainings
- Be 18 years old and have a high school diploma.
- Completed any necessary LAB Coaches training
- Completed volunteer packet and background check
- Signed coaches job description and coaches contract
Time Commitment: Our spring program is expected to run about 8 weeks, between mid-April and mid-June. Coaches would volunteer from 1 - 4 hours per week spaced over 2 days. The program is offered after school so volunteer slots would likely be between 3:30 - 5:30pm.
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
This is the perfect opportunity for coaches who are interested in working with under-resourced middle school children and giving them the opportunity to participate in an organized sport. Coaches will have opportunities to learn more about social emotional learning (SEL) programs and how to mainstream SEL in coaching and will be connected to a network of caring and dedicated volunteers who share their love of basketball and its transformative power. Volunteers will also receive training on how to recognize and report child abuse.
- Child Development
- Physical Education
- Sports Coaching
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- From 1 - 5 hours per week