Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Hand Up Food Pantry believes in helping clients reach self-sufficiency by providing a 'hand up’ not just a hand out to clients experiencing food-insecurity. They accomplish this by connecting clients to resources in addition to providing emergency food relief to 800 families each month at distributions through San Diego County. In the past year, the Hand Up Food Pantry has provided 8,969 clients with 310,000 meals.
Goal of Position:
Serve young military families who are experiencing food insecurity. Many of these families have do not have many years of financial experience or the luxury of a dual income and fall into the lowest pay grades.
- Gain valuable nonprofit experience
- Learn about food insecurity and hunger in your community
- Provide food with a smile to those who we serve
- The knowledge that you made a difference in the lives of Military families and individuals
- Unload box truck and set up shopping area in parking lot outdoors
- Assist with client check in process
- Distribute food and diapers to military families
- Assist clients with carrying supplies to cars
- Clean up parking lot and load box truck
- All ages welcome, children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult
- Be compassionate, friendly, caring, and patient with the families served
- Be willing to gain a strong understanding of the Hand Up Food Pantry
- Be able to lift bins and boxes up to 25 pounds
- Complete a confidentiality waiver
- Wear closed-toed shoes and comfortable clothing that can get dirty
- Must be able to complete background check for base access
- Must be able to provide own transportation to Camp Pendleton
- Must be a minimum of 12 years of age (Parental accompaniment strongly advised)
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/handupapp
1:30am-3:30pm on Sunday
Directions: Camp Pendleton, Religious Development Center, Building #1344 on A St. and 11th St.
Take the 5 North, exit 76 East (travel 6.4 miles on the 76). You may think you missed it, but it is a long way inland. You will pass a drive-in movie, which seems to be in the middle of nowhere. Then you will approach a more commercial area with a large Lowe's on the right hand side as you approach College Blvd. Turn left on College Blvd. When you come to a T in the road turn right onto North River Road which will become Vandgrift. You will approach a military gate. When you are stopped by guards at the gate, please show them your driver's license and tell them you are there to distribute food at the Religious Development Center building 1344 with Esther & Bud Fischer Hand Up Food Pantry (our base sponsor is Chaplain MacRae if they ask). Once through the gate, go straight, which is still Vandegrift. Turn left at 11 Street. Go ahead until you come to a T in the road, turn right onto A Street, and then immediately left into the Religious Development Center parking lot. Drive to the top of the hill. You may park in this parking lot. You will find Fischer Hand Up staff and volunteers outside. Distributions are set up outdoors.
*Take 5 North
*Exit 76 East (6.4 miles)
*Turn left on College Blvd
*Right on North River Road which becomes Vandegrift
*Present driver’s license and proceed through gate
*Drive straight on Vandegrift
*Left on 11th Street
*Right on A Street
*Immediate left into Religious Development Center
Hand Up Food Pantry Distribution Specialist; Hand Up Food Pantry Program Staff
- Child Welfare
- People Skills
- Food Delivery / Distribution
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 12
- Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Lunch Service Table Captain
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Citizenship Instructor
- Kitchen Aide
- Data Entry Specialist-Community...
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Camp Pendleton Military...
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- Fresh Market Distribution...
- Military Distribution Lead
- Newsletter Production Volunteer
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Performer/Entertainer for Older...
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Lunch Server
- Public Transportation Navigator
- Alzheimer's Disease Initiative...