The AIDS Foundation of Chicago (AFC) is seeking a responsible and motivated individual to intern in its Business Development Department. This individual will work closely with the Senior Vice President of Strategy & Business Development to support 2018 department goals and Strategic Planning implementation for the entire agency. The intern will also learn about the process of developing new business models within the context of the changing health care landscape and managed health care. This is an invaluable opportunity to gain hands-on experience and a multi-faceted view of the planning process in response to a health system undergoing transformation.The Business Development/Management Intern will learn about and assist with several key projects, including:
- Developing innovative and integrated service lines to contract with third party payer - such as Medicaid, health insurance plans, and hospital and health systems. This includes:
- Public health approach to AFC’s current service lines, such as Population Health, Integrated Care and Value-Based Care;
- Utilization of dashboards for third party payer
- Researching new business and service models in the era of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) that would benefit those living with HIV/AIDS and other related chronic conditions including stable housing. These include:
- Identifying new models in use across the country or in development by other agencies and institutions that provide similar services or to a similar population and that address the changing payment methods and design;
- Assessing new lines of business and appropriate scorecard for evaluation
- Agency implementation for AFC’s 2016-2018 Strategic Plan and Strategic Priorities. Emphasis will also focus on internal change management needs to accomplish Innovation and Service Integration goals for the Business Development Department.
- Researching and analyzing national technical assistance programs related to AFC’s service sector for potential business relationships. Determine feasibility of formally establishing a National Technical Assistance Center.
- Prepare reports to summarize the research and pertinent recommendations.
- Current or recent enrollment in a degree program. Master’s level student and coursework in business or management preferred;
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Proficient with MS Word and Excel; PowerPoint skills a plus;
- Passion for social justice issues for vulnerable populations including HIV/AIDS;
- Volunteer experience or familiarity with nonprofit organizations desired.
This internship is designed to be both educational and practical. The Business Development/Management Intern will learn how to take skills they may have acquired in school, such as business or research, and apply them to a professional setting. They will gain a better understanding of the role of strategic planning to set measurable goals and objectives on an annual basis. This internship also provides the opportunity to understand diversification of revenue for sustainable business models.
The intern will also gain knowledge of working in a nonprofit work environment and have the opportunity to network with program staff and the broader stakeholder community.
This internship is unpaid (stipend available), however, AFC can help interns obtain college credit where available. The intern will receive necessary training and staff supervision. AFC requires interns to participate for a minimum of 15 hours/week for a minimum of 12 weeks, though longer internships are preferred. Business and Management majors are encouraged to apply.
All candidates must submit a cover letter, resume and completed application form, which can be found at: www.aidschicago.org/internapplication
In addition, all candidates must submit a writing sample (preferably from professional experience, but if not available, academic samples are acceptable).
Please submit all application materials by February 28, 2018 to:
Email (preferred): Interns@aidschicago.org
Mail: AFC Intern Program, 200 W Jackson Blvd, Ste 2100, Chicago, IL 60606
- Business Analysis
- Strategic Planning
- Business Planning
- Business Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 12 weeks, 15 hours/week