Topsail Hill Preserve State Park is seeking outgoing and hardworking interns, who are passionate about the environment and helping be a part of the change they wish to see in the world.The internship will encompass but is not limited to such areas as exotic and invasive plant removal, imperiled species monitoring, trail maintenance, water quality tracking, environmental education, public outreach as well as assisting park with its daily operations throughout the campground and preserve.
Topsail Hill Preserve State Park is nestled in the Florida Panhandle along the Gulf of Mexico.It has 1643 acres and is home to rare coastal dune lakes, over 10 miles of hiking and biking trails amongst a Long Leaf Pine ecosystem as well as many protected flora and fauna.
Internships are part time, unpaid and housing is not provided.They are for a minimum of two weeks and up.Hours are scheduled based on park needs averaging twenty hours a week.
- Help to create a better and healthier future for Florida
- Community engagement experience
- Leadership and project management experience
- Database management experience
- Environmental field operations experience
- Great resume builder
- Must be at least 16 years of age and be a US born or naturalized citizen and pass a background check
- Must have a US Govt issued Driver’s License and own form of reliable transportation
- Must be able to pass a written and practical driving test for golf carts and UTVs
- Undergraduate or graduate coursework in biology, ecology, botany, environmental science or related field
- Must believe in the mission and share the values of the Florida Park Service and have a passion for the environment
- Able to work as part of a team and show leadership qualities
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Good physical condition able to walk on uneven terrain and through dense vegetation unassisted, lift 50 lbs
- Able to read a map
- Computer skills including Office Suite and familiarity with web based tools.
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication
- Professional demeanor, positive and friendly personality
- Comfortable speaking in front of groups
- Familiarity with Florida native plants and animals (helpful but not required)
How to apply: Go to https://volunteers.floridastateparks.org/pages/app:INDIV and fill out the application for an individual volunteer.Then email Chris Whittle at firstname.lastname@example.org to notify him of your interest in applying for the Natural Resources internship.
- Basic Computer Skills
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Averaging twenty hours a week