GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Work with all departments in GeekGirlCon organization to facilitate greater accessibility for staff and attendees both during the convention itself and during the planning stages.
- Review, maintain, and update accessibility-related information on website and marketing material
- Access and report to Convention Operations Director on areas of improvement for accessibility
- Create Large-Print format for program
- Examine plans for physical spaces to make sure it meets necessary accommodations
- Create and implement accessibility trainings for staff and volunteers regarding meeting the needs of all con attendees
- Curate accessibility programming
- Ensure accessibility needs are met in staff meetings
- Provide guidance to Marketing/Communications and Outreach departments in improving accessibility of online content and outreach events
- Direct other accessibility positions, such as Interpreter Coordinator
- Knowledge of ADA and state ordinances regarding Disability Rights Law including service and companion animal rights.
- Knowledge of common accommodations and adaptive devices used by people with disabilities.
- Experience working in a diverse environment.
- Experience as Accessibility Coordinator or similar role.
- Experience on staff of a convention.
- Experience conducting and assessing training sessions and workshops and/or teaching experience.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-7 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!
- Event Design & Planning
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 5-7 hours per week, increases during Convention
- In-person attendace at monthly staff mtgs; Volunteering at Con 10/26-10/28, 2018