Fit With Fido is a team of runners that takes shelter dogs on 5-mile runs 3 times a week. The dogs wear banners saying "Adopt Me" and the runners wear bright jackets with the animal shelter logo on them, so we’re visible as we run along the waterfront through Myrtle Edwards Park and the Olympic Sculpture Park. It’s win-win! - the dogs get exercise, fresh air and exposure to park visitors who just might want to take one of them home, and the runners get exercise and quality time with dogs.
The distance occasionally depends on the physical condition of the runners and dogs. Weather can also play a factor. The team does not run during thunderstorms or when the roads are icy but does run in all other weather.
HOW CAN VOLUNTEERS HELP?
* Vigorously exercise dogs that are confined to kennels for long periods of time.
* Find loving homes for Shelter dogs.
* Increase public awareness of the Shelter.
* Encourage runners and joggers to adopt dogs for companionship and
* Please note - Fit with Fido volunteers pay for their special running jacket. We are looking for current cost estimates however it may range $50-$100.
* Shifts are available on Saturday 8:30 to 10:00, Monday evening 5:30 to 7:00 or Wednesday evening 5:30 to 7:00 ONLY.
Fido volunteers must be in good physical condition and able to run a 10-minute mile.
Volunteers must have experience handling large, active dogs.
Prospective Fido runners will be invited to shadow a Fido shift before they proceed to Safe Dog Handling and dog walking shifts.
Six weeks of dog walking are required before joining the Fido team.
The team runs throughout the year, which means we run in darkness and rain during the winter. For safety purposes we run in groups of two or more and wear reflective running gear.
Please note: You will not be accepted into the program if you do not have prior experience handling large, active dogs.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
1) Go to http://bit.ly/29HFM95
2) Fill out the online application form.
3) Mark this opportunity as a Program Preference.
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hour shift/week; 6 month minimum commitment