The Jazz Society of Oregon (JSO) is a 44-year-old 501(c)(3) based in Portland that exists to advance the Oregon jazz scene by growing the audience and opportunities for local musicians. We are an all-volunteer organization of jazz musicians and supporters of jazz interested in supporting the grassroots jazz scene in Oregon. JSO is funded by grants, donations and membership fees.
JSO promotes engagement in the local jazz scene by managing and promoting performances by local jazz artists, providing scholarships to support local jazz education, fosters workshops to stimulate interest in performing, and publishes information about the local jazz scene to increase awareness.
JSO’s activities fall into four principle areas:
- Produces the Cathedral Park Jazz Festival, a free-to-the-public series of jazz performances from local artists held the third weekend every July. 2018 is the 38 th year of the Cathedral Park Jazz Festival. This event attracts 10,000 - 15,000 attendees and provides a platform for local artists to perform in front of large audience. The Festival also hosts three youth bands over the course of the weekend as well as other community engagement activities.
- Hosts recurring performances of local jazz artists in venues throughout Portland providing our marketing and promotional support to increase the audience and exposure for both the venues and artists in the local jazz scene.
- Provides financial support through scholarships to high potential jazz students to help them pursue jazz education in clinics, camps and degree-granting programs.
- Publishes content about the local jazz scene including venues, artist profiles, performances schedules, and other related information through our various publication platforms including our website, social media and a periodical called Jazz Scene.
- Resource Development / Management
- Program Management
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18