The Civil Air Patrol seeks volunteers with an interest in assisting our units in communications.
Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force, is a nonprofit organization with 58,000 members nationwide. In its Air Force Auxiliary role, CAP performs about 85 percent of continental U.S. inland search and rescue missions. Its unpaid professionals also perform homeland security, disaster relief, and drug interdiction missions at the request of federal, state, and local agencies. The members play a leading role in aerospace education and serve as mentors to more than 24,000 young people currently participating in CAP's Cadet Program. Visit www.capvolunteernow.com for more information.
The Civil Air Patrol- Group 3 has fourteen units in the Tampa Bay area. Our units are dedicated to assisting our local community through a myriad of emergency services and operational missions. We also focus on teaching a new generation about aerospace and its impact on our future. A variety of other positions are available as well.
Location: 14 locations across Hillsborough, Pinellas, Polk, Pasco, Hernando & Citrus County
Time Commitment: 10-15 hours per month
The Communications Officer is expected to:
- Familiarize Civil Air Patrol communications trainees with the basic concept of communications operation in Civil Air Patrol
- Establish programs to maintain and operate unit radio equipment
- Monitor unit communication
- Implement communications plans and programs from higher headquarters
- Maintain accountability of equipment issued from higher headquarters and equipment issued or acquired at the unit level
- Strong writing, editing, and public speaking skills.
- Age 18 or older.
- Willingness to become a member of the Civil Air Patrol and comply with all internal regulations and procedures.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Enthusiasm for community service and working with youth.
- Access to leadership training and opportunities.
- Formal recognition of training, qualification, and experience through CAP's Communications Specialty Track.
- Training and mentoring available from Wing, Region, and National members.
- Networking and training at Wing, Region, and National Conferences.In addition to position-specific duties, all members are encouraged to participate in Civil Air Patrol’s Emergency Services, Aerospace Education, and Cadet Program missions. A wide variety of Emergency Services and other training opportunities are available if desired, though participation is not required.To apply, please email a letter of interest to Lt. James Chamberland at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "CAP-COM".
- Disaster Response
- Disaster Relief Call Center
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Search & Rescue
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15 hours per month
- Willingness to become a member of the Civil Air Patrol and comply with all regulations & procedures.