The Volunteer Management intern will work with staff implementing the Zoo’s volunteer programs. The intern will gain a greater knowledge and understanding of the needs required for managing and maintaining an efficient volunteer program. Duties will include assisting with the management of 150+ regular volunteers and 700+ episodic volunteers. The intern will lead group volunteer projects, assist with coordinating volunteers during special events, and participate in volunteer recruitment, screening, orientation, training, and retention. The intern will also learn to use volunteer management software and develop organizational skills. The internship is unpaid, but there are many other benefits that will afford interns a valuable experience in conservation and volunteer management.
- Coordinate and work with groups for large one-time projects
- Assist with recruitment, orientation, training and onboarding of new volunteers
- Help coordinate volunteers for special events
- Research new marketing mediums for volunteer recruitment
- Assist with the daily administrative management of the volunteer program
- Complete and present an internship project
- Be a current undergraduate or graduate student
- Be available for at least a three month commitment
- Be able to make at least a 240 hour commitment
- Occasional evenings and weekends required
- Have reliable transportation to and from the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk, VA
Email your resume, cover letter, and transcript (unofficial is acceptable) to Kristine.Kastenbaum@norfolk.gov or fax to 747-441-5408.
Applications for summer are due April 10th, 2018.
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Must commit to at least 3 months and 240 hours.