The Pennsylvania Statewide Afterschool / Youth Development Network (PSAYDN) is embarking on exciting work to expand the amount of STEM opportunities in afterschool programs. High quality afterschool programs have shown to increase student academic performance, behavioral improvements and have been a factor in supporting regular school attendance. These programs also provide excellent opportunities for youth to explore new topics without the typical time constraints that occur during the school day. To increase these types of opportunities for children and youth throughout the state, better coordination, increased partnerships, and additional funding are all necessary. The STEM VISTA will work to build partnerships with STEM-related businesses, industry partners, higher education officials, and schools to increase coordination and improve the quality of afterschool programs. Finally, the STEM VISTA will help to coordinate professional development opportunities for afterschool providers throughout Pennsylvania to improve the quality of the workforce and ultimately the quality of afterschool STEM programming throughout the state.
- Conduct STEM-rich partnerships with five low income and/or underserved pilot sites.
- Continue the administration of the statewide survey to update and maintain an accurate mapping of STEM afterschool programs and potential partners as well as working partnerships with STEM-rich institutions.
- Seek funding and partnerships to develop or publicize quality PA STEM afterschool programs in underserved areas.
- Partner with out-of-school time providers and potential other mentoring partners to develop and deliver (in person and/or online) trainings for OST staff and volunteer.
- STEM-rich and business partners to insure a positive quality STEM /OST experience for youth programs and partners.
The remainder of the specialist’s time will be devoted to (one weekday each week) to the following activities on behalf of PSAYDN in ways that complement the Project Plan. Activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Data Entry
- Administrative Support
- General Education
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 1 year
- ? Must be at least 18 years old ? Must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident of the U.S. ?