The Margaret Mitchell House, the midtown campus of Atlanta History Center, hosts creative writing camps each summer in the very house where Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone with the Wind. These camps are designed to help further develop the skills of gifted young writers as well as to improve the skills of students that are struggling with writing. This internship will provide college students the opportunity to work with seasoned Educators on a variety of creative and technical writing genres, and to experience many different methods of teaching good writing skills to kids in a fun and engaging way.
- The intern will assist the camp counselors in teaching and supervising groups of up to 15 campers during week long, full day summer creative writing camps.
- A typical day’s lesson plan includes a field trip, group discussions, games and activities, and time for campers to work on their writing projects.
- The intern will assist counselors with student and classroom management, instruction, preparation for the day’s activities, lunches/snacks, and administrative tasks.
- The intern will work with groups and individual campers to help them develop and improve their writing creatively, technically, and grammatically.
- Intern will also assist the Summer Camp Director in supervising Junior Counselors (17-18 year old high school students) throughout the summer.
Desired Skills and Competencies
- The ideal candidate is pursuing a degree in English, Creative Writing, Journalism, Education, or other related field, and has experience working with elementary, middle school, and high school aged children.
- Candidates should enjoy working closely with children, and have the ability to provide positive, constructive criticism and encouragement.
- Good customer service skills are important.
- Creativity, patience, flexibility, a sense of fun, and eagerness to learn are necessities
- Flexible and comfortable working in a fast paced environment
- Strong organizational skills: the ability to multi-task and maintain focus, organized
- Able to work and complete tasks under a deadline
- Sensitivity to cultural and artistic diversity
TO APPLY: Interested applicants may submit their resume and cover letter to Volunteer Services at email@example.com . No phone calls please. This is a non-paid internship.
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Volunteer Coordination Intern
- Design Intern
- Atlanta History Center History...
- Outreach Programs Assistant
- Public Programs Intern
- Manuscript Archives Intern
- Collections/Registration Associate
- LGBT & Serial Inventorying
- Margaret Mitchell House Writing...
- Marketing and Communications...
- Visual Archives Intern