Special Events Manager [Volunteer Position]
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.Job Summary
The Special Events Manager manages the coordination and execution of all Convention events, including, but not limited to, the Fashion Show, Closing Celebration, Costume Contest, and Kickoff Party. They coordinate with the rest of the Programming Department to ensure all Convention events are on track, within budget, and adhering to mission goals. They oversee the Special Events Team.Responsibilities
- Manages the Special Events Team, hires for open Special Events Team positions;
- Researches event venues (including site visits), negotiates terms, and ensures contracts/BEOs are signed and properly executed;
- Manages all event logistics including A/V needs, event set-up, volunteer coordination + training, event registration, etc.;
- Identifies and secures event partners and performers, including negotiating and finalizing contracts;
- Works with the Corporate Sponsorship Manager to secure event sponsorships;
- Works with the Talent Manager to coordinate hospitality, transportation, and accommodation for event guests and performers;
- Manages Special Events budget;
- Maintains an annual Master Event Guide;
- Coordinates with Marketing for event promotion and signage;
- Tracks participation, ROI, and overall efficacy of event;
- Engages with event attendees while still remaining in charge of the event;
- Ensures that appropriate permits are secured for events.
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively both independently and within a team;
- Superior organizational skills and the ability to prioritize, problem solve, and multitask;
- Exhibits a keen attention to detail, including follow-through and follow-up;
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Has strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
- Exceptional customer service skills;
- High degree of flexibility;
- Available to work evenings and weekends;
- Proficiency with G-Suite tools;
- Prior event planning experience;
- Prior team management experience.
- Proficiency with Basecamp or other project management tools;
- Experience with contract negotiation.
- Minimum commitment to this volunteer position is two Convention cycles.
- With the exception of the Executive Director, GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 10-20 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!
- Event Design & Planning
- Event Management
- Event Planning / Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 10-15 hours per week, increases during Convention
- In-person attendace at monthly staff mtgs; Volunteering at Con 10/26-10/28, 2018