WITNESS makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to use video and technology to protect and defend their rights. We provide training, tools, and support to people around the world so that they can use video ethically and effectively to create positive change.
Internships at WITNESS offer a unique, hands-on opportunity to enhance your educational objectives through practical, real-world experience under the guidance and mentoring of experienced professionals in the areas of human rights, video advocacy, communications, media operations, fundraising, IT, human resources, and nonprofit administration. Interns participate in an array of activities depending on the department and projects, which may include research, event planning, outreach, organizational support, translation, and writing.
The Finance Department provides accounting, financial management, tax preparation, and grants management support for WITNESS. There is a great deal of collaborative work with other staff and departments within WITNESS.
The Accounting Intern will work with staff to support Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, General Ledger, Fixed Assets, Grant Releases, and other accounting functions using Excel and Blackbaud’s Financial Edge accounting software. As we prepare for our annual audit, the intern will gain valuable exposure to the audit process, including assisting with the preparation of audit schedules and other audit-related materials.
All interns are expected to spend up to 20% of their time engaged in administrative support.
By the end of the internship, the intern will learn (or get):
- Basic familiarity with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge accounting system (Accounts Payable, General Ledger, and Cash Receipt modules)
- Greater familiarity with Microsoft Excel
- How to enter invoices in Accounts Payable, general journal entries in General Ledger (reconciliations, prepaid expenses, accrued expenses, etc...)
- How to create a prepaid schedule
- Reconciliation of credit card statements and cash advances
- A better understanding of accounting process
Currently we are seeking interns enrolled in a 4-year or graduate program related to accounting, business, or nonprofit management. We also review applications of recent graduates who may be seeking the same type of mentorship and educational focus related to their career choice or educational background.
The following would be beneficial for entering our program:
- At least two (2) years of accounting / business / financial management or related coursework
- Related internship experience
- Strong communication skills, attention to detail, and accuracy
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Word are required
- Experience with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge system is a strong plus, but not required
- Be available for internship on Mondays, Wednesdays, and/or Fridays
We require a minimum commitment of 3 months, for 16-24 hours a week. Internships are unpaid. All internships are based in our Brooklyn office, convenient to the Atlantic Terminal / Barclays Center (2,3,4,5,B,D,Q,N, & R trains), LIRR, and the C (Lafayette) and G (Fulton) trains.
No phone inquiries, please. Please submit your application via email to email@example.com including a Resume and Cover Letter with "Accounting Internship" in the Subject. Please include contact information for 3 references, of which at least 1 must be an academic contact.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment