You might be just who we are looking for!
Are you looking for an outstanding opportunity to make a difference in the world?
Are you the kind of person others look up to for advice and leadership?
Do you have a network of friends and business associates you can call on for assistance, financial and otherwise?
Do you want the opportunity to help a small non-profit grow and see the results of your labor?
Do you want to help children? Orphaned children? Poverty-stricken children? Sick children? Children with special needs?
Then you may be just the individual we are seeking to be Chair of the Board of Maya’s Hope!
Founded in November 2010, Maya’s Hope has impacted the lives of hundreds of children in Ukraine and Philippines. You can learn more about our activities at:
www.mayashope.org or www.facebook.com/mayashope
We are seeking a dynamic, committed, natural leader to serve as the new Chair of our Board of Directors. This is an outstanding opportunity for the right individual!
To apply to be our next Board Chair:
(1) Review the roles, responsibilities and commitments listed below.
(2) Familiarize yourself with New York State statutes and regulations for charitable organizations at https://www.charitiesnys.com
(3) Send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to reviewing your candidacy!
Roles and Responsibilities of the Chair of the Board
The principal role of the Chair of the Board is to manage and to provide leadership to the Board of Directors of Maya’s Hope. The Chair is accountable to the Board and acts as a direct liaison between the Board and the management of Maya’s Hope, through the President (or Executive Director). The Chair acts as the communicator for Board decisions where appropriate.
The separation of the role of the Chair from that of the President (Executive Director) indicates that the Chair should be independent from management and free from any business or other relationship that could interfere with the Chair’s independent judgment regarding Maya’s Hope.
More specifically, the duties and responsibilities of the Chair are as follows:
- to serve a full two-year term;
- to act as a liaison between President/Executive Director and the Board;
- to provide independent advice and counsel to the President/Executive Director;
- to keep abreast generally of the activities of Maya’s Hope and its management;
- to ensure that the Directors are properly informed, and that sufficient information is provided to enable the Directors to form appropriate judgments;
- in concert with the President/Executive Director, to develop and set the agendas for meetings of the Board;
- to act as Chair at meetings of the Board and other meetings, as needed;
- to recommend an annual schedule of the date, time and location of Board and Committee meetings;
- to review and sign minutes of Board meetings;
- to sit on other Committees of the Board where appropriate as determined by the Board;
- to call special meetings of Board members or Committees where appropriate;
- in concert with the President/Executive Director, to determine the date, time and location of the annual meeting and to develop the agenda for the meeting;
- to recommend to the Board, after consultation with the Directors, management and the Governance and Nominating Committees, the appointment of members of the Committees of the Board;
- to assess and make recommendations to the Board annually regarding the effectiveness of the Board as a whole, the Committees of the Board, and individual Directors; and
- to ensure that regularly, upon completion of the ordinary business of a meeting of the Board, the Directors hold discussions without management present.
- Monthly Contribution: Sponsor at least one child or participate in a Maya's Hope sponsorship program with a minimum contribution of $30.00 USD per month.
- Initial Contribution: Make an initial contribution of $5,000.00 USD to Maya’s Hope (General Donation) upon joining the board.
- Annual Contribution: Contribute a minimum of $10,000.00 USD annually, an amount which may either come from his or her own resources or be raised from others. Example: First year, $5000.00 initial personal contribution + $5000.00 donation from others or personal contribution. Additional types of giving include, but are not limited to, corporate matches, grants, and event ticket sales. Maintain records of these donations and provide a report at each board meeting.
Principal Commitments of the Board of Directors
- Review the agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and committee meetings.
- Attend meetings prepared to give great feedback and offer advice to improve Maya’s Hope!
- Serve on committees and take on special assignments as needed, e.g., organizing and hosting events and applying for grants.
- Act with integrity and represent the interests of all people served by the organization.
- Recognize that decisions of the board can be made only by a majority vote a) at a board meeting or b) in writing.
- Respect the majority decisions of the board.
- Participate in:
- Board self-evaluation programs.
- Board development workshops, seminars, and other educational events that enhance skills as a board member.
- Handle information with discretion and confidentiality as necessary.
- Exercise authority as a board member only when acting in a meeting with the full board or as delegated by the board with members.
- Collaborate with members who serve this board and leave personal prejudices out of all board discussions.
- Represent Maya’s Hope in a positive and supportive manner at all times.
- Display courteous conduct at all board and committee meetings.
- Refrain from intruding on administrative issues that are the responsibility of management, except to monitor the results of the organization.
- Monitor the financial condition of the organization.
- Understand and comply with the bylaws of Maya’s Hope.
- Help us grow by serving as an Ambassador for Maya’s Hope.
- Stay informed about Maya’s Hope’s mission, services, and policies.
- Provide support and advice to the staff (employees and volunteers) of Maya’s Hope.
- Recruit other board members and host committee members-commit to recruiting at least one of each per year.
- Avoid conflicts of interest between being a board member and personal or professional interests (as referenced in Maya’s Hope’s Conflict of Interest Policy.) If such a conflict does arise, disclose that conflict to the board and refrain from voting on related matters.
Liability of Board Members
Maya’s Hope maintains a Directors & Officers liability insurance policy.