VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY DESCRIPTION
At Second Harvest, volunteers make up 42% of our workforce. So when we say we literally can’t accomplish our mission to end hunger in Orange County without volunteers, we mean it! The Shift Lead will assist our Volunteerism Department staff to make sure our volunteer projects run smoothly. They may assist with the explanation, execution, and clean-up of projects, contributing to the operation’s efficiency and an overall positive volunteer experience.
ACTIVITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Be a friendly face and greet and welcome volunteers in the food distribution center
- Provide a welcoming and positive experience for all volunteers
- Assist with leading volunteer teams on projects as directed by Second Harvest staff
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to volunteer shift to coordinate with the Volunteerism Department staff regarding what projects are planned for that shift
- Ensure projects run smoothly
- Answer volunteers’ questions and address issues as they arise, consulting the appropriate staff when applicable
- Lead volunteers in clean-up as part of the shift
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to take and follow direction well
- Must be self-directed and skilled at problem solving
- Must be a consistent weekly volunteer at Second Harvest
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds
- Must be able to pull/push 30 pounds with a pallet jack
- Must be at least 18 years old
HOW THIS ROLE IS TIED TO OUR MISSION
Volunteers make up 42% of the workforce at Second Harvest Food Bank, and we literally could not achieve our mission to end hunger in Orange County without their help. Shift Lead Volunteers will work together with the Volunteerism Department staff to not only ensure volunteer projects run smoothly each shift (which results in food getting out to the people we serve), but to ensure that the volunteers have a positive experience here at Second Harvest.
We are looking for a volunteer to consistently commit to at least one shift per week, for a minimum of 3 months, possibly longer. Shifts are available Tuesday-Saturday 8:30am-11:30am or 12:30pm-3:30pm (except no PM shifts on Fridays).
On-the-job training and supervision will be provided by the Volunteerism Department.
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18