YouLead! is a USAID-funded, four-year program implemented by International Executive Services Corps (IESC) to improve technical and vocational education and training, and increase the employability of young people in Sri Lanka. YouLead! will create a more skilled and flexible workforce by undertaking activities that support and strengthen students, teachers, institutions, and young entrepreneurs. YouLead! will work closely with potential young entrepreneurs to improve their business skills and the quality of their business plans, as well as with financial institutions to enhance their ability to lend to youth-led start-ups.
The retail sector in Sri Lanka has recorded formidable growth in recent years because of strong macroeconomic fundamentals, rising incomes, higher levels of household expenditure and shifting consumer trends. With supermarket and hypermarket expansions on the rise, driven by an increasingly brand-conscious consumer group, all segments of the retail value chain hold good potential for future investment and expansion. With limited formal retail penetration, Sri Lanka’s modern supermarket-hypermarket segment is among the fastest-growing sectors, with supermarket penetration increasing from 5% in 2005 to around 8% in 2012. The dominant players in the local sector include Cargills Food City, Keells Super, Laugfs Sunup, Arpico Super Center, and Lanka Sathosa. Cargills chains command a 50% market share in terms of turnover, with over 220 outlets spread across the country.
Lanka Sathosa Ltd is the state owned large-scale retail network business in Sri Lanka with over 370 outlets island wide and over 5000 employees. It is proposed to increase the number of outlets to 500 mid 2018. These outlets were established from 2005 under the brand name Lanka Sathosa with the aim of providing food security to the mass consumer. Lanka Sathosa targets consumers with lower and lower middle-income households.
A Training Needs Analysis (TNA) will determine if a training need exists within Lanka Sathosa and, if it does, what training is required to fill the gap. YouLead! assistance would be provided to carry out (a) a TNA to identify the training needs and development curriculum and (b) implement the Training of Trainers (TOT) that would help bridge the gap between the current and desired performance.
Competing with dominant players such as Cargills Food City, Keells Super, Laugfs Sunup, and Arpico Super Center in the local retail sector requires Lanka Sathosa staff to be skilled in performing their tasks in an efficient and customer friendly manner. Effective training will ensure that staff have the knowledge and right skills to be able to do their work effectively and competently. Hence, the need for a Training Needs Analysis to identify the training needs to improving employee work performance.
The objective of this assignment is twofold; to carry out a Training Needs Assessment (TNA) for Lanka Sathosa and develop required curriculum and; implement the training recommendations focusing on Training of Trainers (TOT).
The expert will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Review with the Lanka Sathosa HR team their current approach to training and the training plan
- Design and develop a Training Needs Analysis (TNA) to identify the training gaps and needs
- Work closely with the Lanka Sathosa HR team in conducting the TNA and develop a specific training strategy and development plans
- Present the findings of the TNA and assist in developing curricula for Training of Trainers (TOT) program
- Develop a mechanism to identify Master Trainers from within Lanka Sathosa
- Conduct the TOT program for the selected Master Trainers
- A Training Needs Analysis (TNA)
- Workshop to present the findings of the TNA
- Curricula for Training of Trainers program
- Training of Trainers for Lanka Sathosa Master Trainers
Timing and Duration of the Assignment
The Level of Effort (LoE) will be for 4 to 5 weeks including work and travel days with a tentative start in end of March, 2018.
Reporting Relationship/Other Conditions
The expert whilst reporting directly to the Project Director, will work closely with the YouLead! project’s regional partnerships, career guidance and workforce development staff and the Lanka Sathosa HR team.
- Significant experience in carrying out Training Needs Analysis
- Five to ten years’ experience in curriculum development and conducting training programs especially Training of Trainers.
- Experience working in developing countries preferred
- Proven ability to work effectively in cross-cultural contexts
- Training skills, including participatory training in group settings
- Self motivated, proactive, detail-oriented, mature, professional team player, who is a strong communicator, with good interpersonal skills
This is an unpaid volunteer opportunity, but IESC will cover the volunteer’s travel, lodging, and meals and incidental expenses, in accordance with the Department of State’s foreign per diem rates for Sri Lanka.
- Human Resources Training & Development
- Sales Coaching & Training
- Retail / Sales
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment