Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Volunteer Engagement department supports 25+ programs of JFS that utilize volunteers in different capacities. Volunteer Engagement recruits, screens, interviews, and places all volunteers into appropriate programs. The department is also responsible for maintenance of all volunteer personnel records and assists with volunteer appreciation. Volunteers are the heart of JFS.
Goal of Position:
Increasing awareness of JFS Volunteer opportunities is vital to meeting the needs of our clients. By assisting the Volunteer Engagement team in reaching out to the community, we will be able to enhance the quality of our services and increase the number of clients we serve.
- Obtain transferable office experience using applications such as Excel
- Gain experience working at a well-established, impact-driven nonprofit
- Gain experience doing community outreach and building partnerships
- Help Jewish Family Service of San Diego meet the needs of the clients we serve by ensuring that all volunteer programs are well-staffed
The Community Outreach Volunteer would support Volunteer Engagement in our recruitment efforts by assisting with calling, database management and flyering. It would be the responsibility of the Community Outreach Volunteer to strategically identify organizations based on location and/or the services they offer, focusing specifically on organizations that offer services that align with current priority programs. The Community Outreach Volunteer would call organizations to gauge interest in partnering JFS and would track all calls and interest levels in our Community Outreach Database. The Community Outreach Volunteer would also be responsible for posting flyers weekly.
- Comfortable talking to new people; able to speak confidently on the phone to people of all ages
- Comfortable using Excel and other computer-based systems
- Independent and able to think on one’s feet but comfortable asking for advice if needed
- Comfortable working with people from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and educational levels
- Willingness to learn, accept feedback and actively engage in the learning process
- Must have reliable transportation
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Complete a phone screening and in-person interview with Volunteer Engagement staff
Minimum 3 month commitment; 4 to 6 hours a week preferred.
Jewish Family Service
Turk Family Center
8804 Balboa Avenue
San Diego, CA 92123
Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
- Data Entry
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Food Drive Assistant
- Event Planning Internship
- Development Administrative...
- Food Drive Volunteer
- Hillcrest Distribution Volunteer
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Workshop Facilitator
- Data Entry Specialist-Community...
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Bingo Caller
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Cozy Cafe-rista
- Receptionist Assistant
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant
- Data Entry Specialist - Helping...