Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Financial Literacy program at Jewish Family Service seeks to provide financial education to individuals with a demonstrated need. The goal of the program is promote financial literacy and long term financial stability. This position serves a variety of clients including those receiving financial assistance through JFS and those participating in our loan programs.
Goal of Position:
Concern and respect for the hard work and commitment of clients who struggle financially is at the heart of the program. Car Ownership Instructors share their expertise in order to assist families in protecting the investment they have made by purchasing a car. Instructors lead a class on basic car maintenance and upkeep.
- Benefit in knowing that your time and talent are making a significant impact in the lives of families within your community.
- Ability to directly impact those individuals that may be new car owners.
- Attend and lead Car Ownership classes a minimum of once a month. Classes are approximately two hours in length.
- Follow the JFS course curriculum that covers the topic of general car maintenance
- Conduct two-hour workshops, engage attendees, and perform pre- and post- survey evaluations.
- Refer clients to work individually with a JFS Volunteer Money Coach as appropriate.
- Act as a liaison between programs at Jewish Family Service and the community.
- Ability to attend and present at scheduled Cor Ownership classes.
- Knowledge of basic car maintenance. A curriculum will be provided for instuctors to follow.
- Passion for JFS and commitment to helping families achieve self-sufficiency and independance. * Bilingual Spanish speakers are preferred.
- Must be able to provide own transportation to the JFS Joan & Irwin Jacobs Family campus or community-based courses as mutually established between volunteer and program coordinator.
- Must be available to instruct evening classes.
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Three months to one year of service .
- Attendance at scheduled class (two hours long), to be held at mutually agreed upon dates and times - one class per month.
- Classes will most likely be 6-8pm to accommodate working professionals.
Jewish Family Service
Turk Family Center
8804 Balboa Avenue
San Diego, CA 92123
Hand Up CARS Program Coordinator
- Financial Planning
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- Financial Literacy
- Public Speaking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Lunch Service Table Captain
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Citizenship Instructor
- Kitchen Aide
- Data Entry Specialist-Community...
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Camp Pendleton Military...
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- Fresh Market Distribution...
- Military Distribution Lead
- Newsletter Production Volunteer
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Performer/Entertainer for Older...
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Lunch Server
- Public Transportation Navigator
- Alzheimer's Disease Initiative...