This year College Bound will award over $100,000 in scholarships to high school students in our Academic Mentoring Program. These scholarships often play an essential role in making college completion possible for our graduates. Awarding of these scholarships is possible because of the fantastic support from volunteer reviewers who participate in this effort.
What Will I Be Reviewing?
Each application will consist of an academic transcript, one teacher/counselor recommendation, and a capstone mentoring project. The capstone mentoring projects provide an opportunity for our students to share the skills and knowledge they have gained through the College Bound program. Each project can be either a 1,000-word essay, or a submission such as a publication, play script, song, sculpture or another art project, photo essay, or video. Each submission (except the essay) must be accompanied by a 500-word reflection paper describing and explaining it.
What is My Commitment as A Scholarship Reviewer?
- Within the review period(approximately three weeks in mid-to-late March) you will review 7 to 10 applications. Each review is expected to take about 30 minutes.
- You will rate each application on a 100 point scale using four scoring categories: academic performance, teacher/counselor recommendation, capstone mentoring project, and overall application impression.
- Reviews can be done from anywhere at any time during the review period; you simply need to have access to the internet to complete the review in Google docs.
- Following the application submission deadline, College Bound will send you a confirmation email with instructions on how to access and score your assigned applications.
What are the Requirements to be a Volunteer Reviewer?
- Volunteer Reviewers must be pursuing or have completed a bachelor's degree.
- Volunteer Reviewers must agree to keep all information you receive and view confidential to protect the privacy of our students.
- Volunteer Reviewers must inform College Bound of any potential conflicts of interest/bias if an application in their portfolio is a personal acquaintance or family member. In such instances, we will reassign that applicant to another Reviewer.
- Volunteer Reviewers agree that if they will be unable to complete their reviews by the end of the review period, they will inform College Bound immediately. Please make sure you will be able to devote sufficient time during the review period before committing to participate.
To Sign Up
If you'd like to volunteer in this most rewarding and important endeavor, please complete the online form. If you have questions or need additional information, please call the Volunteer Coordinator, Caprice King, at 202-842-0858 ext.103 or email her at Caprice@collegebound.org
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading Comprehension
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 30-45 minutes per scholarship application Pursuing
- Pursuing or have completed a bachelor's degree