Responsible To: XPLOR Store Supervisor
Task Description: Assist day-to-day operations through various roles and create product demonstrations
highlighting the product’s science background. (The XPLOR store proceeds directly support the mission of the Carnegie Science Center and the store itself is part of the interactive, educational experience of the visitors.)
The intern will assume all of the retail duties required of a sales associate. Duties include assisting with sales, ticketing and stocking merchandise, and assisting customers. The intern will also select products to demonstrate in the store, lobby, and outdoors area and develop a demonstration explaining the science behind the product.
Should be able to lift at least 15 pounds
Great customer service skills
Must be friendly and outgoing
Must like children
Able to work with a variety of people with different backgrounds
Able to work in a fast-paced setting
Able to work independently
Willingness to learn new information
Skills to be Learned:
This internship offers the candidate the opportunity to explore all facets of the retail business
Determine how and when to place orders
How to make best use of the sales floor
Inventory control procedures, including shipping and receiving
Advance merchandising skills
The mechanics of opening and closing procedures
Marketing and sales techniques
How to determine product viability
Interns will not be responsible for administrating first aid
Intern will attend training sessions and meetings as required
On the job training
Shadowing supervisors and other staff
One-on-one guidance to develop demonstrations
Independent reading/research of science topics for demonstrations
120 hours minimum during the semester
TO APPLY: Send letter of intent, resume, and letter of reference from either an academic advisor or professor BY APRIL 1, 2018, to:
Carnegie Science Center
One Allegheny Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
- OR -
- Retail / Sales
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 120 HOURS
- Fab Lab Educational Internship...
- Interactive Exhibits Intern...
- Volunteer Engagement and Special...
- Presenter, Science Theaters -...
- Group Experience Internship...
- BodyStage - Anatomy/Biology...
- Carnegie Science Center...
- Fab Lab Technical Intern...
- Marketing Internship (Unpaid) -...
- Education Intern, Science...
- Miniature Railroad & Village...
- Animal and Habitat Internship...
- Classes & Sleepovers Education...
- BodyStage - Nutrition Internship...
- XPLOR Store Internship (Unpaid)...