Pet Therapy for Hospice Patients
Do you have a certified therapy Dog, Cat or other pet? Are you a caring person with a compassionate heart? Become a hospice volunteer and share the love of your pet with others who have a life-limiting illness. Being a hospice volunteer not only makes a difference in a patient’s life but also in yours too.
Amedisys HOSPICE OPERATIONAL GUIDELINES FOR PET THERAPY:
- Each volunteer who provides an animal for pet therapy must meet the requirements of an Amedisys direct care volunteer, including volunteer training.
- Any pet intended to make patient visits must have an affidavit by their owner that the pet has no history of aggressive behavior towards strangers.
- Any pet intended to make patient visits must be certified by a humane-animal organization.
- Each volunteer providing a pet to Amedisys hospice for pet therapy must sign a statement releasing Amedisys from any liability related to pet behavior.
- Each pet must have a file with Amedisys Hospice that includes the animal’s health history and up to date vaccination record.
- When pet therapy is requested, the volunteer coordinator will make a visit to the patient’s residence (whether at home or in a facility) to assess and arrange for an animal to be assigned.
- The Volunteer coordinator will contact the volunteer animal handler to schedule visit.
- Pet Handler should ensure no animal jeopardizes the health, safety, comfort, treatment or wellbeing of the patients/residents, staff, or any person (s) not being serviced.
- The presence of animal (s) should not interfere with the health and rights of other individuals not being serviced, i.e. noise, odor, allergies, and interference with free movement.
- Pet handler should adhere to the patient’s residence (whether at home or in a facility) rules, policy and procedures with the intent of or providing therapy.
Thank you, Jan Sturgeon (864) 335-0455 Janine.email@example.com
- Hospice Care
- Animal Therapy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour per week
- Certified Pet therapy animal, animal health history and up to date vacination record