Volunteer Groups- Education, Empowerement and Entrepreneurship
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
A Volunteer Group with Niños de Guatemala is an unforgettable service learning trip for a group of people who want to learn more about Guatemala, the community we serve, the work we are doing, and also want to lend a helping hand.
The objective of a volunteer trip program is to involve volunteers in community-based service projects and to give volunteers opportunities to learn and work with the communities to foster an experience where both participants and the local community members are exposed to alternative forms of living. Being completely immersed into diverse environments enables participants to experience, discuss, and understand social issues in a significant way; encouraging a broader understanding of the world and our role within the global context of development.
NDG welcomes all kinds of groups from all walks of life. From medical and teaching professionals to high school groups, fraternities/sororities, mission teams and others. Regardless of type, Volunteer Groups are a great opportunity to enhance your understanding of Niños de Guatemala´s mission, to help us break the cycle of poverty and build a better future for the next generation of Guatemalans.
NDG hosts volunteer groups on a short-term basis, 1 week up to 3 weeks. The groups are of a minimum of 6 people and a maximum of 15, who come to volunteer, learn from the Guatemalan culture and goes on wonderful adventures.
Groups will have the opportunity to share their skills and talents with our students, and the Niños de Guatemala staff. Is an opportunity for reciprocal, experiential learning between volunteers and Niños de Guatemala.
The impact of our Volunteer Groups
- Our groups make a big difference in our kids’ lives by offering them the love and attention they want.
- Groups act as role models for our children by inspiring and encouraging them.
- Groups bring new energy to the program and inspiration to our children and staff.
- Groups also enhance our students’ educational experience by planning and leading projects.
Volunteer Groups Requirements
- Be flexible, motivated and willing to change children's lives.
- A positive attitude
- An appreciation of new cultures that will help you settle in Guatemala and enjoy all of the new experiences;
- Be 18 years old or older (Exceptions can be made with under age volunteers who come with theirs parents)
- Commit to at least 1 week of volunteer work.
- The groups should have a minimum of 6 people, and a maximum of 15. You can bring double teams (2 teams of 15 or less, but this means that you need a "Group leader" for every 15 people)
- Every group should assign a "Group leader".
Group Leader: each group must assign a group leader who will act as a primary group contact and deliverer of information. This person will work closely with Niños de Guatemala’s Volunteer team to design the trip, manage the arrangements, and provide fundraising support. The leader will be in charge of communicating everything regarding the Volunteer Group with the other group members. S/he is also encouraged to organize pre- and post-trip meetings.
Work site and accommodations
Our groups will live in Antigua and they will work directly at one of our schools (2 primary schools and 1 middle school) in communities called Ciudad Vieja and San Lorenzo El Cubo only 20-30 minutes away from Antigua.
Volunteer work options
Groups participate in a lot of fun, educational projects and activities that they implement with different students during their time with us. Here are some examples of what volunteers can do:
- Infrastructure: construction, painting, furniture and others
- Classroom Assistance
- English Classroom Assistance
- Artistic Expression Workshops
- Sports Workshops
- Summer School (Only in November)
- We welcome new ideas!!
Great adventures for our volunteers
Outside the schools your group can get off the beaten track and experience Antigua’s wonderful, culture, people, and landscapes. There are countless cultural and social activities we can organize for you including Cooking classes, Salsa, Coffee Farm tours, Chocolate making and much more.
We also offer other adventures outside of Antigua, we would love your group to explore some of the best places in Guatemala, for example hike our volcanoes, visit the Lake Atitlan and much more.
Our goal is to help your trip be memorable, meaningful, and empowering.
For more information about our "Volunteer Groups" please send an email to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Language/Cultural Support Available
HOW TO APPLY
- Contact NDG
- Read our International Volunteer Group Catalogue, and choose the option that is best for your group.
- Complete and submit the group application form online.
- Pay the one-time, non-refundable $200 application fee online (please select 'Volunteer Application Fee’ as the project).
- Online meeting (Skype) with the Niños de Guatemala Volunteer team.
We'll work with your schedule.
4 Calle Oriente #28Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala
- Child Care
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- General Education
- People 55+
- Background Check
- 1 week up to 3 weeks