Tutors for the SBU SAT Prep program work with small groups of Junior and provide them with the academic support needed to graduate high school and go to college. Tutors follow a set curriculum, developed by SBU, teaching weekly lessons in either Math or English, while also helping students with their homework. Tutors work with the same group of students every week. This provides tutors the opportunity to build relationships and to serve as a positive role model in youths' lives while also promoting the importance of education.
Mondays 6:00 - 8:00pm (Math)
Wednesdays 6:00 - 8:00pm (English)
1st Semester: mid September - mid January
2nd Semester: early February - early June
Urban Assembly School for Careers in Sports, Mott Haven HS Campus, 730 Concourse Village West, Bronx, NY 10451
Tutors are asked to commit to teaching either English or Math for 2 hours, one evening a week for at least one semester (Sept-Jan or Feb-June). However, if a tutor would like to be more involved, he/she is always welcome.
South Bronx United is looking for highly motivated, energetic volunteers who want to make a difference in the lives of South Bronx youth. Tutors should possess either strong math or English skills, and feel comfortable breaking down and explaining processes for problem solving. Tutors should also be willing to review the provided weekly math or English lessons beforehand so that they are prepared for working with the students.
An orientation and training at the beginning of service will be run for all tutors to give general guidelines, tutoring tips and to go over the specific needs of the students. Additional training and "check ins" will be conducted intermittently throughout the course of the year.
In addition to helping provide the resources and support to allow under-served students to thrive in school, SBU is happy to connect with your school to see if your volunteer hours can work towards school service or academic requirements.
The boys and girls participating in the program are also members of the South Bronx United Travel Soccer Teams. Tutors are welcome and encouraged to come out and see a game or get involved in a practice as SBU youth are extremely passionate about the sport and it’s a great way to connect with the kids.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 2hrs per week
- Non Profit Development Internship
- College Prep Tutor - SAT Prep
- Volunteer Coordinator -...
- STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT INTERN
- Academic Coach (After School...
- AmeriCorps Vista Development and...
- Summer Soccer Scholars: Teaching...
- Soccer Coach-Mentor: SBU Global...
- ESOL Tutor
- College Prep Tutor - Seniors
- College Prep Mentor
- Travel Soccer Coach & Mentor
- Summer Soccer Scholars: Coaching...
- Head Coach & Mentor for Girls...
- Non-Profit Data Systems Internship
- Girls Soccer Coach & Mentor
- After School Soccer Coach
- College Prep Tutor - Sophomores
- AmeriCorps UP2US Coach & Mentor
- Youth Recreational Soccer Coach