The mission of HEAF is to transform the lives of underserved young people, beginning in middle school
and continuing in college and beyond, through a youth development approach that includes rigorous year-round academic enrichment, social and cultural exposure, and constant individual attention.
Admissions Volunteer Intern
Position: The Admissions Intern is a part-time position handling tasks associated with recruiting,
screening and admitting students into the HEAF program for our two program sites. Intern will be trained and placed at program headquarters in Manhattan, and report to HEAF’s Manager of Admissions, Community Relations. Intern’s weekly hours range from 10-15 hours per week depending on designated weekly work levels.
Program & Administrative Duties Include:
- Orient, and support prospective students participating in the Admissions process.
- Help plan Admissions special events (e.g. Open Houses, Appreciation Events, and Special Tours).
- Collect and maintain student information, including application and other supplemental materials (such
- as report cards).
- Prepare written weekly Admissions status reports on received applications, interviewed candidates and
- accepted students.
- Design and update Admissions collateral.
- Use technology (including, but not limited to, email, databases) as means of engaging in
- communications with prospective families and HEAF staff.
- Serve as a flexible team member and provide perform other related tasks as deemed necessary by the organization.
- College students in education, social work or related field encouraged to apply. High School diploma
- and two additional years of volunteer or youth management experience may be considered.
- Motivated self-starter and team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral
- and written, and a positive attitude.
- Ability to set clear goals and follow through with flexible and creative problem solving.
- Conceptual ability for the larger perspective with a strong attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Working knowledge of computer and internet-based programs for use in communication, data entry and research. (e.g. using Microsoft Software (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Data Entry
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15 hours per week