Academic Support Center (CEA)
2 people are interested
CENTRO DE APOYO ESCOLAR (CEA)
CENTRO DE APOYO ESCOLAR (CEA) is an academic support center that aims to improve academic performance and discourage school desertion of working and vulnerable children in Quito’s poorest market sectors. The Center serves 80 children aged six to twelve, the majority from a nearby market, who attend CEA either in the morning or the afternoon, depending on their school schedule. The children we work with are at an educational disadvantage to their non-working counterparts because they have fewer sources of support and less time to complete their homework.
The CEA team includes: 2 CEA Coordinators, 2 Volunteer Coordinators, and 10 - 15 Academic Support Volunteers.
Academic Support Volunteer
CEA functions from Monday to Friday in the morning and afternoon and volunteers may participate in either or both sessions; it is not necessary that a volunteer works Monday through Friday, but they must work a fixed schedule at least three days a week.
As a CEA volunteer, you will help create a safe space for the children and help reinforce that learning can be fun.
- Assist the children with their homework and studies for school in a variety of subjects, including but not limited to Language, English, Math, and Science.
- Help the CEA teacher maintain control of the classroom.
- Provide discipline and structure necessary to create positive study habits.
- Prepare educational and recreational activities for children who finish their homework early.
- Two-month minimum commitment.
- Intermediate Spanish.
- Grade school knowledge of reading and writing.
- Flexibility and Patience
- Commitment longer than two months.
- Advanced Spanish.
- Experience tutoring and working with children who have learning disabilities.
Cost and Support from the CENIT Community:
We ask each volunteer for a one-time contribution of $100. In exchange, you will receive daily lunch, a CENIT T-shirt and the support of a full-time volunteer coordinator. Your contribution also supports the administrative costs of the volunteer office and the sustainability of our programs.
We'll work with your schedule.
Huacho E2-63 y Jose PeraltaBarrio El RecreoQuito, 170121Ecuador
- Child Development
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- 2 months or more