No One Should Die Alone - Pet Volunteer Program for Hospice Patients!
6 people are interested
Silverado Hospice is looking for pet therapy dogs and their wonderful owners to join our team. Pets must be certified as a pet therapy animal through the Delta Society, Therapy Dogs International, PAWS, Lend a Paw Program or any organization of this caliber who tests and certifies animals for pet therapy. You will be asked to provide proof that your animal has liability insurance and is up to date on vaccinations.
Our patient's are terminally ill and in their final stages of life. As a Hospice Volunteer you will be visiting patients in their own homes and at nursing facilities. You'll be assigned to a patient as close to your home as possible. Volunteers visit days and hours are flexible. We need volunteers who will bring their Therapy dogs along with them to their hospice visits. Volunteers and their dogs will sit with patients, read to them, hold their hand, and listen to their stories. Pet therapy dogs are great at interacting with Hospice patients and provide much needed comfort and unconditional love.
In addition to having your dog certified, volunteers will need to complete Silverado Hospice’s volunteer training. Pets are welcome to attend with you.
- Dogs/Handlers must be registered or certified with one of the national therapy dog registries (Delta Society, PAWS, Therapy Dogs International, Therapy Dogs Incorporated) and hold the traditional pet therapy certification. Proof of current certification will be maintained in Volunteer File.
- Dogs/Handlers must provide proof ofliability insurance through their certifying organization
- Dogs/Handlers must provide proof ofcurrent vaccinations. Including Rabies and Distemper Hepatitis, Parvovirus, Par Influenza (DHPP).
- Dog/Handlers must attend an obedience/temperament interview with Volunteer Manager
- Handlers must be 18 years or older
- Must complete Volunteer training
- Must have a Tuberculosis and Drug test. (Free of charge)
- Background clearance (Free of charge)
- 6 month commitment
We'll work with your schedule.
Silverado Hospice - AustinFacilities and Homes Throughout AustinAustin, TX 78744
- Hospice Care
- Animal Therapy
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 month commitment
- TB Test and Drug Screen