Farm Stand Volunteer Coordinator Internship
Background: The Food Shuttle Farm is a ten-acre urban production farm in the heart of Raleigh dedicated to growing the freshest produce possible for the Food Shuttle’s hunger relief programs. Eighty percent of produce grown is distributed through Food Shuttle Mobile Markets and school pantries. The remaining twenty percent of produce is sold to local restaurants and at the farm stand. All proceeds from sales support the organization’s programing.
Responsibilities: The Food Shuttle Farm seeks an intern to coordinate volunteers to operate the Farm Stand. The intern will gain volunteer coordination and management basics while supporting Farm Stand operations in a variety of ways. Responsibilities include:
- The intern will be responsible for coordinating farm stand volunteer activity. The intern will communicate with volunteers face-to-face, over the telephone, and through email.
- Assist farm staff and fellow interns with training new volunteers to operate the Farm Stand.
- Maintain a database of volunteers’ contact information, develop sign in and out process, and track metrics (ex: days and times volunteers worked) by utilizing VolunteerMatrix.
- Monitor volunteers’ experience to retain or replace volunteers. This will require meeting regularly with volunteers to assess progress and satisfaction. Consult with farm staff to address volunteer needs that arise.
- Cultivate a positive and supportive atmosphere by recognizing volunteer efforts.
- Interact with customers while working at the farm stand to promote the organization’s mission and increase awareness of the farm’s role within the organization.
- Interns must complete required training and orientation provided by the farm team.
- Enjoy working in a team environment.
- Friendly and outgoing demeanor, eager to engage customers and volunteers in discussions about the organization’s mission.
- Must be prompt and can commit to a set schedule.
- Must be clear and a proactive communicator.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with a diverse range of people.
Hours: This internship has a flexible start date between April and May. The internship will go through end of August. Interns must commit to a minim on 10 hours per week. The position requires occasional Saturday availability.
Location: The Food Shuttle Farm, 2300 Dover Farm Road, Raleigh 27606.
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship.
TO APPLY: Go to https://www.foodshuttle.org/jobs-internships/.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment