Farm Stand Assistant Manager Internship
Background: The Food Shuttle Farm is a ten-acre urban production farm in the heart of Raleigh dedicated to growing the freshest produce possible for the Food Shuttle’s hunger relief programs. Eighty percent of produce grown is distributed through Food Shuttle Mobile Markets and school pantries. The remaining twenty percent of produce is sold to local restaurants and at the farm stand. All proceeds from sales support the organization’s programing.
Responsibilities: The Food Shuttle farm seeks an assistant manager for the farm stand. The intern will learn project management skills and marketing basics while supporting Farm Stand operations in a variety of ways. Responsibilities include:
- Work alongside farm staff and volunteers to harvest produce to be sold at the Farm Stand. This involves 2-3 hours of fieldwork once a week.
- Assist farm staff and fellow interns with training new volunteers to operate the Farm Stand.
- Collaborate with farm staff and fellow interns to update Farm Stand operating procedures outlined in an official manual.
- Create produce displays at the Farm Stand to optimize space, storage and visual appeal of the product.
- Develop new merchandising strategies to enhance produce sales. This will include visiting nearby grocery stores and farmers markets for ideas and inspiration. The intern will be responsible for recording new strategies in the farm stand manual.
- Interact with customers while working at the farm stand to promote the organization’s mission and increase awareness of the farm’s role within the organization.
- Interns must complete required training and orientation provided by the farm team.
- Enjoy working in a team environment.
- Friendly and outgoing demeanor, eager to engage customers and volunteers in discussions about the organization’s mission.
- Must be prompt and can commit to a set schedule.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Manage budgets.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with a diverse range of people.
Hours: The start date is flexible. This internship is available beginning in April and will be available for start until May. The internship will go through August. Interns must commit to a minim on 10 hours per week. The position will require occasional Saturday availability.
Location: The internship will take place at the Food Shuttle Farm, 2300 Dover Farm Road, Raleigh 27606.
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship.
TO APPLY: Go to https://www.foodshuttle.org/jobs-internships/
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- at least 10 hours a week