VEEP Day (Vermilionville Education Enrichment Partnership)
VEEP Days happen spring and fall semesters. VEEP began in 2012 as a service learning collaborative between Vermilionville, ULL and LPSS. ULL education majors nearing completion of their undergraduate program are introduced to Vermilionville then create lesson plans that connect to the history/culture of the village, as well as to the required curriculum for our public schools. On the designated day, ULL students set up their lessons throughout the historic village and LPSS students are brought in to rotate through the lessons for a day of cultural and historic enrichment.
VEEP offers a "win win" outcome for everyone involved:
- LPSS students
- receive meaningful experiential educational opportunity and
- a fun, free cultural excursion
- ULL pre-service students
- create concrete lesson plans that address curriculum expectations
- benefit from hands-on experience with students.
- gain experience in lesson plan development and implementation, utilizing local historical and cultural resources as well as classroom management experience beyond the traditional classroom.
- potentially have their work represented in published papers and conference presentations ---great resume builders!
- gain free access to the village and several events throughout the duration of their work on this project
- makes progress towards achieving its vision of becoming an esteemed source of education and information, enlightening youth about the Creole, Cajun, Native American, African descent cultures of the Attakapas District from 1765 to 1890.
- Acquires more hands on lesson plans for consideration as resources we share with the broader community of educators.
Will need 4 to 5 volunteers (number TBD based on class sizes) to
- Greet students as they exit buses, guide students through the village for lesson rotations - making sure to follow the strict time guidelines for rotations, hand out and collect student evaluation forms at the end of the day.
Time commitment of approximately 6 ½ hours.
*ALL volunteers must receive orientation/training from Melanie prior to volunteering.
- Teaching / Instruction
- General Education
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- 5.5 HRS