City Youth Now provides programs and services that promote stability, personal growth, and long-term success for youth in the San Francisco Foster Care and Juvenile Justice Systems.
We are currently searching for volunteer tutors who can work with youth at the Juvenile Justice Center to complete a GED correspondence course.
Teachers will accompany youth as they complete workbooks. They will explain challenging concepts to the youth and help the youth find answers to their questions.
Details about your role
- Time commitment: 2-3 hours a week, Monday-Friday
- Duration: minimum 1 semester (Spring: January 16 - May 23); (Summer: June 12 - July 30); (Fall: August 21 - December 22)
- Location: Juvenile Justice Center, 375 Woodside Ave, San Francisco, CA 94127
- 1:1 typical student to teacher ratios (maximum 3:1)
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum 21 years of age
- Background in education (teaching, tutoring, mentoring) highly preferred
- Experience working with adolescents and young adults a plus
- Familiarity with GED coursework appreciated
- Strong math skills desired but not necessary
- Patience, enthusiasm, and compassion
What you’ll get out of it
- An opportunity to help an underprivileged youth rise beyond his/her circumstances and succeed academically
- A chance to develop your teaching, tutoring, and mentorship skills
- A support system that includes staff members at City Youth Now and the Juvenile Justice Center
- An orientation and tour at the Juvenile Justice Center
For more volunteer opportunities at City Youth Now, please visit the following pages:
Volunteer Tutor for Online College Coursework at Juvenile Hall: https://www.volunteermatch.org/search/opp2864412.jsp
Volunteer Tutor for High School Students at Juvenile Hall: https://www.volunteermatch.org/search/opp2827183.jsp
Volunteer at the City Youth Now Office:
How to Apply
For more information on this opportunity, or to request an application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- General Education
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hours a week for minimum 1 semester
- Email email@example.com for an application.