1. Assignment Title
Mental Health Phone Representative Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center Uptown Division
*If you are interested in this position please send an email to VhaAugVoluntaryService@va.gov
2. Purpose of Assignment
Volunteer is responsible for calling Veterans to remind them of scheduled appointments. Volunteer must provide superior customer service for each patient. A positive attitude is very important as some patients do not feel well. This position reports to the outpatient program manager.
Use a report which notes names, phone numbers, appointment date/time to call Veterans and remind them of their appointments. If Veteran does not wish to keep the appointment, MSA team lead is to be notified hourly of the Veterans who wish to reschedule.
Contact outpatient mental health manager when you are unable to report for your shift.
4. Time Commitment
Shift 8a.m. - Noon, Noon - 4 p.m. or can be negotiated. Volunteers may work one or more shifts per week as agreed with the outpatient program manager.
Pass a background check
Exceptional customer service skills
Effective communication skills (both written/oral)
Patience when dealing with impaired individuals
Problem solving skills, ability to make sound decisions.
Position is sedentary (sitting)
Must be able to speak clearly
Personal calls/texting limited to lunch and break periods
6. Training and Skill Development
Initial and annual volunteer training.
Assignment specific training
Dr. Cornelia Jones, Program Manager Outpatient Mental Health
Volunteer reports to: Program Manager Outpatient Mental Health
8. Supporting policies
VHA Handbook 1620.01
Medical Center Policy MEMORANDUM NO. 119-14-01
Position located in Uptown Division
Phone and desk provided
Lunch provided for volunteers working a 4 or more hour shift.
Structured recognition/awards program
Annual Flu Shot at no cost
Eligible to join credit union
Make tax-free purchases in Canteen store
- Veteran Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- We will take what you can give!
- Volunteer Van Driver for...
- Van Driver for Veterans at the...
- Ambassador Charlie Norwood...
- Volunteer Driver for Veterans...
- Distribution Technician...
- Veterans Health Education and...
- Wheelchair Repair Downtown...
- Prosethetics Clerical and...
- Information Desk (Front Line...
- Beneficiary Travel Customer...
- Wheelchair Concierge & Greeter
- Appointment Reminder for...
- Nursing Volunteer for Veterans...
- Community Living Center Senior...
- Musician Volunteer Charlie...
- Front Desk Clerk Volunteer...
- Program Assistant in...
- Wheelchair Concierge Service...
- Volunteer Van Driver For...
- Fisher House Volunteer Charlie...