Adult Education Volunteer Tutor
Do you have the gift of teaching and the love of working with others? The Learning Center/House of Connections needs you! We are a community based organization that provides FREE adult basic education, high school equivalency test preparation, English as a Second Language, and computer classes to people of the North Lawndale and Little Village communities. To continue our work, we need your support as a tutor!
We’re asking our volunteer tutors to commit to 1 hour a week or more of tutoring. Our classes are scheduled Monday-Thursday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm at The Learning Center on Millard. We can be flexible with your schedule to determine when you can come each week and for how long.
You will work one-on-one with students while the class is facilitated by a Malcolm X College instructor. We will figure out which class is the best fit for you once you get started.
- Exhibit a willingness to understand the importance and challenges of Adult Education
- Be reliable, flexible, and patient
- Participate in any meetings with staff prior to tutoring
- Participate in 15 hours of tutor training: 10 hours online through the Secretary of State’s Adult Literacy Volunteer Tutor Training ( http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/library/literacy/oltt/home.html ) and 5 hours provided in-person at The Learning Center
How to Apply:
For more information or to apply, please contact Angie Saucedo at 773-277-3111 or email@example.com . We are located at 2153 S Millard Ave and are accessible by the #21 Cermak bus, the #85 Central Park bus, and the Central Park Pink Line stop with free street parking on Millard. We look forward to hearing from you!
Visit www.tlcchicago.org for more information about The Learning Center!
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 15 hours of tutor training - 10 online, 5 provided in person at TLC