The New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) seeks an undergraduate/graduate to serve as anAdministrative Volunteer to our Storm Response Unit (SRU). NYLAG provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers. NYLAG clients include immigrants, seniors, the homebound, families facing foreclosure, renters facing eviction, low-income consumers, those in need of government assistance, children in need of special education, domestic violence survivors, persons with disabilities, patients with chronic illness or disease, low-wage workers, low-income members of the LGBT community, Holocaust survivors, and others in need.
STORM RESPONSE UNIT (SRU)
The Storm Response Unit was formed in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy as part of NYLAG’s comprehensive disaster relief program to assist victims of the storm deal with a range of legal issues. SRU provides ongoing assistance to New Yorkers recovering from Sandy, including assistance related to city and state recovery program applications, flood insurance claims, FEMA benefit recoupments, and contractor disputes.
- Contacting previous NYLAG clients about participation in the Home Resiliency Audit program, a long-term planning program that combines advice from surveyors, engineers and flood insurance counselors to guide homeowners on mitigating current and long-term flood risks and flood insurance rates for their homes
- Managing, reviewing, and organizing client database/files
- Legal research as feasible, particularly on flood insurance and local floodplain management issues
- Providing administrative support to SRU’s Staff Attorneys and Paralegal
- Other administrative duties as assigned
- Commitment of a few hours per week, until project completion
- Interest in public interest law
- Positive attitude and self-motivated
- Professional demeanor and punctuality
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com with "SRU Volunteer" in the subject line.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment