Assist the teacher of vocational English class for immigrants and refugees by working with individuals and small groups of students who need extra support. Topics include improving English and communication skills to obtain employment, job search and job retention techniques, orientation to the American workplace, financial literacy and life skills.
Class is on Mondays and Wednesdays 9:30-12:30
- ESOL teaching or tutoring experience preferred, but not required.
- Comfortable working with low level English language learners.
- Fluency in English and Spanish preferred.
- Interest in working with people of various linguistic, cultural, religious, ethnic and national backgrounds.
- Empathy for the challenges of learning a new culture and a new language.
English for Advancement is new program that provides vocational English classes and job search services to non-native English speakers at sites in East Boston, Dorchester, Lynn and Lawrence. Employment services provided in this program include job search assistance, resume and interview preparation, cultural orientation, pre-employment vocational English language classes, job placement and follow-up, and post-employment support. Career Coaches from the Refugee Services department will work closely with participants to assist them in beginning employment and advancing their careers.
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 3-6 hours/week, Mon/Wed 9:30-12:30