AIDS Walk Austin Committee Member Job Description
Responsible to: Cambriae Bates, Special Events Coordinator
Responsible for: Event development, community awareness, and walker and sponsorship recruitment.
Term Limit: N/A
Time Commitment: 8-10 hours per month
Requirement: Must be available on October 28, 2018
Benefiting ten sharing agencies including AIDS Services of Austin, this event brings together people (and pets) from all walks of life!
AIDS Walk Austin attracts 1,000+ people annually for an afternoon of celebration and remembrance of those affected by HIV. Begin the day with a festival in the park featuring live music, food trucks, vendors, and activities, and then walk the 2.5 mile route that uses the Capitol as a round-about.
The goal of this event is to raise $240,000+ dollars to support HIV and sexual health services across 5 counties in Central Texas.
AIDS Walk Austin committee members act as community liaisons for the Walk with the goals to grow and strengthen the event by spreading awareness, getting teams and individuals registered and fostering new community relationships with corporate and local businesses looking to get involved.
There are three categories in which committee members will be assigned:
- Connect with community members, social clubs and sports teams, and corporate groups to recruit teams and individuals to walk and fundraise.
- Communicate with the community members you recruit to provide motivation and support to keep them on track with their fundraising goals.
- Identify possible sponsors for the Walk.
- Work with the ASA development team to cultivate a strong relationship with corporations and local businesses to gain monetary support for the event.
- Communicate to community members why the Walk is a vital event for Central Texas and the benefits they will gain from supporting the necessary cause.
- Event Planning and Logistics
- Brainstorm new ideas to help create a more attractive and organized event.
- Assist the Special Events Coordinator in planning and logistical needs.
- Be on-site day of to help ensure a smooth flowing Walk and festival take place.
- Communicate with Special Events Coordinator to remain updated on event progress.
- Be well-versed about and able to articulate ASA’s mission and the purpose of the Walk.
- Attend and actively participate in preferably all, but no less than 80% of committee meetings, whether in-person or by phone conference call.
- Provide bi-weekly assignment updates to Special Events Coordinator via email.
- Perform the duties indicated in your committee category assignment.
- Register for the Walk and volunteer to assist with the event on Sunday, October 28 th.
- Efficient in time management.
- Organization and problem-solving skills required.
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities.
- Friendly and compassionate.
- Desire to help the community and advocate for marginalized populations.
- Immersed and connected in the Austin community.
How often are meetings?
Initially meetings will take place once a month over coffee or lunch. Three weeks out from the event, meetings will become weekly to ensure the success of the event as it approaches.
Please email Special Events Coordinator, Cambriae Bates, a short resume detailing volunteer and/or work experience applicable to the posted role. A brief cover letter (1-3 paragraphs) explaining why you would like to be involved should also be included in your email.
7215 Cameron Rd
Austin, TX 78752
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- 8-10 hours per month