WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where202 Palouse StreetWenatchee, WA 98801
WRC Housing: Women's Resource Center of NCW is looking for volunteers to tutor resident children at the Bruce, our transitional housing facility. Often, parents living in poverty are unable to help their children with homework, for various reasons, so their child(ren) may not get the same support and encouragement as their peers. Currently, we run a 1.5 to 2 hour tutoring session every Tuesday evening. We are starting up for the spring semester on January 9th, 2018.
Volunteers help students to complete homework and assignments, hopefully encouraging them to do well in school and become more interested in learning. Volunteers will form bonds with residents, and serve as a trusted adult/mentor.
● Assist children with homework assignments (usually math worksheets, reading and reading comprehension practice)
● Go over lessons and answer any questions that children may have
● Work to find fun and creative ways to teach concepts that children may be struggling with
● Screening and background check is required for all WRC volunteers
● Feels comfortable going over and explaining basic school subjects
● Experience with teaching or tutoring a plus
● Must be patient and willing to work with children
● Once a week for 1-2 hours during school year
This program will be led by our Community Outreach Coordinator. The Bruce staff may also supervise. It is required that the parents of the children be present during the tutoring sessions.
Benefits to Volunteers:
● WRC will provide training
● Seeing students succeed
● Sense of giving back to community
● Direct service opportunity
● Resume builder - gaining teaching experience
WRC Housing & Supportive Services provides individuals and families experiencing poverty and homelessness with the housing and supportive services they need to be a part of a healthy, diverse community. To learn more about us, please visit wrc-ncw.org.
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Once a week, 1-2 hours, during academic year